Advanced search

Harry and his jaw - again

(41 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 12-Apr-16 12:22:00

Poor Harry went back to the vet this morning and his jaw is still too unstable to be unwired. The wire has now been in for 13 weeks so the options are to have another wire, but that could be prone to infection, or a referral for a more permanet option. I made the choice to have him referred and I'm waiting for a call.

The poor little thing has been through so much and I'm now thinking am I doing the right thing putting him through more surgery? I've been weighing up his quality of life and he seems to be happy - he eats, sleeps, washes, plays and is no different to how he was before he broke his jaw so I can't not give him a change.

I'm so scared I'm going to lose him sad

cozietoesie Tue 12-Apr-16 12:32:06

Achh. I was so hopeful for him.

thecatneuterer Tue 12-Apr-16 12:46:22

Poor Harry. I can see no case at the moment to PTS as he seems to be happy. If the surgery helps him then of course it's the right thing to do.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 12-Apr-16 13:28:10

We were as well Cozie. The vet couldn't believe it hadn't healed and she found some pus in one of his fang sockets so she's thinking there could be a slight infection, although there's no other symptoms to indicate that. He also had a 2 week antibiotic injection a few weeks ago.

Thanks TCN. I'll always do what's best for him but it's good to hear someone else say it's the right thing flowers

cozietoesie Tue 12-Apr-16 13:53:13

Just make sure he has good pain relief, I think. He may seem fine but you know how cats cover up - and think how you would feel with an infected tooth/jaw let alone the wiring.

Poor lad.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 12-Apr-16 14:11:09

He hasn't had any pain relief since the original operation when he was on Meloxicam for a couple of weeks. I'll speak to the vet about it tonight - I'm sure he'd love to go back on it as he loved the Hills AD that we used to hide it in!

cozietoesie Tue 12-Apr-16 14:51:53

Personally, I think that that might be a good idea - but do listen to my thoughts on pain relief with a careful ear, being as how I'm a strong advocate for it in some circumstances. (Having seen the difference it's made for my own cats and read just a little of the interesting research that's being done there, among humans and animals both.)

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 13-Apr-16 09:41:38

I've spoken to the vet again this morning and she has said Harry doesn't need painkillers at the moment, he only appears to have problems with the tooth when pressure is applied and, if something is done ASAP, she is confident he'll be fine.

I now have another problem - the original vet that he was referred to can't help as they don't have a dental specialist. None of the others on the list are local and the only local one has two clinics once a month and is overseas the rest of the time! DH and I have discussed it and, rather than put Harry through hours in the car, we are going to stick with our own vet. She is going to take a culture of the infection so she knows which antibiotic to use and he will then be on them for 6-8 weeks. She will also rewire his jaw so he doesn't have a spike poking out.

If this doesn't work I know he'll have to go to a specialist but I'd rather try and keep him with people he knows and we trust. My uncle told me last night that I have to remember I might have to hand him over to the great cattery in the sky which really upset me. I obviously know that, but at no time has the vet said so and, when I asked her this morning, she's confident that he can be saved (her words).

Sorry for the long rambling post.

cozietoesie Wed 13-Apr-16 09:58:00

Poor Harry and poor you. sad

When does he go for the re-wiring?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 13-Apr-16 10:00:33

I'm waiting for the vet to come back to me as she's on leave for 2 weeks as of tomorrow so she's going to discuss with another vet. We're going to book him in as soon as possible so we can get everything under way.

I hope I'm doing the right thing...

cozietoesie Wed 13-Apr-16 10:06:12

Good luck whenever the date is. Let us know how the lad gets on?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 13-Apr-16 10:51:11

I will do. Hopefully they'll get back to me today so we know what's happening. We're supposed to be going on holiday in a couple of weeks but my cat sitter (who is a vet's nurse) is happy to give him any medication he needs. She also said that if he needs to have a wire for the rest of his life it shouldn't be a problem and there's no way he's ready for the great cattery in the sky. I trust her judgement and she'd be the first to tell me if I was doing something wrong!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 14-Apr-16 11:31:06

He's back to our vet on Monday to take swabs of the infection and hopefully rewire his jaw. He's absolutely fine in himself (especially at 5am this morning when he wanted company!) and is still munching his biscuits much to everyones amazement.

Hopefully after Monday he'll be on the road to recovery.

cozietoesie Thu 14-Apr-16 11:48:00

Fingers crossed for him.

timtam23 Thu 14-Apr-16 20:57:52

Poor Harry. Fingers crossed his jaw improves soon.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 18-Apr-16 16:45:11

Well he's home and he's unwired! The vet was happy with his jaw and decided it's stable enough for him to remove the wire. He's taken swabs but doesn't think there's an infection, although he obviously won't know for sure until we get the results. Some positive news at last!

cozietoesie Mon 18-Apr-16 16:57:04

That's a relief. My fingers are still firmly crossed though. smile

How is the lad doing?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 18-Apr-16 16:58:33

Same as mine! I'm going to be panicking every time he goes out now in case his jaw goes again.

I haven't seen him yet - I'm counting down the minutes until I can go home!

cozietoesie Mon 18-Apr-16 17:00:45

Is he to be confined to quarters for a period?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 18-Apr-16 17:40:17

We were told 24 hours but we're thinking more like the weekend!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 18-Apr-16 17:58:22

I'd go for the weekend too. What a relief for you all.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 19-Apr-16 16:35:33

So much for keeping him in until the weekend! We'd locked the cat flap and, as Harry is known to try and beat his way out of a locked flap we put the full laundry basket in front as well. I was getting ready for work this morning and heard a commotion in the kitchen and found Harry dragging the laundry basket back and then trying to force his head in the gap between the basket and the cabinet! He then had a go at removing the kick board so I decided he would be safer in the garden!

Thankfully he seems back to normal and the vet has said that, unless there is an infection (and we should know by the end of the week), he doesn't have to go back for a check up until we get back from holiday in 3 weeks time. I'm hoping the vet will agree to do his jabs a month early rather than have to take him back as he's had too many trips to the vet!

cozietoesie Tue 19-Apr-16 16:39:39

Gawd. All that - and with a dodgy jaw as well! shock

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:48:12

He's a determined one isn't he?.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 19-Apr-16 19:16:44

I don't think my nerves can take it! He's also been playing with his new catnip mice (from Molly's Mice - I've never seen him go so mad!) and is now under the table waiting for the heating to go on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now