Talk

Advanced search

Insurance

(4 Posts)
MakeItRain Sat 09-Apr-16 15:49:02

I had a similar thread recently about monthly vet fees covering jabs/ flea and worm treatment etc and had useful replies about whether what I was paying was worth it. (It seemed like it was)

Another question - I know it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, but could I ask how many people have insurance, whether it's life cover or time limited and whether people think it's worth taking out for young cats?

I have been paying £30 a month for my two and am either going to swap to someone cheaper or else take the risk of having none.

What do other people think? Have many of you needed to claim on insurance for young cats?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Vinorosso74 Sat 09-Apr-16 16:19:44

We have insurance. We had lifetime cover with Helpucover but they reduced the payout per condition each year to £1000 and premiums shot up (we had never made any claims). We switched to Petplan but due to age of our cat (12yo at time) could only get the time limited one year per condition or until limit is reached. She hadn't been ill in the 6 years we had her.
Of course 6 months after we switched she got ill. Petplan paid out up to the limit but she is no longer covered for that condition. They aren't the cheapest but they are very good when it comes to processing claims.
In future, I will not hesitate to go for a lifetime cover with a high limit.
I would recommend it as it is very easy to run up a vet bills of a few hundred pounds for something relatively minor.
If you decide against insurance put aside a decent amount each month to cover any potential bills.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 09-Apr-16 18:39:29

Harry is 11 now but we have had him insured since we first got him when he was about 3. We've been with various insurers but he's now with Petplan with lifetime cover - not cheap but worth the money. We never claimed when he was younger but we have claimed this year and so far they have paid out over £1,500 with more to come.

Unless I had the money to pay for vet fees there's no way I'd take the risk of not having insurance.

MakeItRain Sun 10-Apr-16 08:10:01

Thanks for the replies. I'll carry on with the insurance then but still think I'll shop around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now