Talk

Advanced search

Is my cat unhappy?

(4 Posts)
5minutestobed Thu 07-Apr-16 10:25:52

My big boy cat (he's a moggy but quite likely part Maine coon) is 6, he has always been an indoor cat. He was really really aggressive up until a few years ago when we got a female cat and she calmed him down a bit. But he has always been high maintenance, he howls for hours at night, not for any particular reason I can work out?! Scratches carpets/sofa and tries to get out the front door constantly. His behaviour has got worse in the last year or so.

We have a toddler who does like to "play" with him ie chase him round the house. But he does get peace most of the time. He absolutely loves my DH and is permanently attached to him if he is home, he's never been a big fan of me!

I am just worried he is unhappy overall, we can't let him out just now(we live him a flat near a main road) and won't be able to move somewhere bigger for at least a year. We are also having another baby and I'm worried that will stress him out too. Part of me thinks we should rehome him to somewhere he can go outside but DH doesn't want to.

We have tried feliway/stress drops/ calming food stuff but none of those have helped. What would you do with him?

cozietoesie Thu 07-Apr-16 13:36:07

Do you - and in particular your DH - actually play with him?

5minutestobed Thu 07-Apr-16 15:54:40

He's never really been that fussed about playing, my other cat will chase toys/play fetch etc but he just sits and watches. He gets plenty of fuss and attention I think, I suppose we do more during the day but he is usually sleeping in the spare room where he gets peace from the toddler!

Roseberrry Fri 08-Apr-16 18:29:58

I think he needs to get outside. It's not natural for a cat to stay indoors. How busy is busy for the road?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now