Intruder

(10 Posts)
Hillijx Wed 06-Apr-16 23:27:22

Probably a very common problem but a first in our house.......for a while now a cat has been coming in and eating our cats food. Laughed at first and tried to shoo it away but now it upsets my cats, one night we woke up with the cat on our landing and ours cowering under the bed! We got a magnetic flap fitted on Sunday, tonight he managed to break through it shock

Any tips to deter it....food now out of conservatory, locking cats in at night......

It seems desperate for food, could it be a stray and should you report it or not in case it isn't a stray? It doesn't have a collar and seems pretty keen to eat our food and it's only go cat.....not like we have Sheba down!!

thecatneuterer Wed 06-Apr-16 23:31:03

So it broke through a microchip operated flap? They're normally pretty strong. Oh dear.

It probably is a stray. Before I make suggestions I need more info. What does it look like? Is it thin? Is it friendly? Have you tried to stroke it? If so will it let you? Is it an unneutered male? (look to see if it has balls smile )

Hillijx Wed 06-Apr-16 23:36:47

grin tomorrow's must do........check out a cats balls!

Does look skinny, not sure on rest.....I shall research tomorrow! I might check its friendliness before the balls though!!

coffeeisnectar Wed 06-Apr-16 23:39:23

Catch it and get it scanned at the vet. Sounds like a stray/lost cat.

thecatneuterer Wed 06-Apr-16 23:42:36

Coffee, that's why I asked if it's friendly. If it is then it can certainly be scanned for a chip. If it is friendly but has balls then it's almost certainly a stray though and won't be chipped (the sort of owners who don't neuter also don't chip - and most strays are unneutered males).

Hillijx Thu 07-Apr-16 09:25:08

I was reluctant to take to animal home as will they put it down?

Icequeen01 Thu 07-Apr-16 10:47:26

Not sure if you have a microchip or just magnetic cat flap? I can highly recommend the microchip ones. We have lots of neighbouring cats and a very greedy cat next door who is huge and goes at our cat flap with full force but doesn't get in. If your flap is a microchip Sureflap it would be worth phoning the manufacturer as they have a brilliant customer service and I have read how they will send you a different sort of catch to ensure you have no unwanted visitors!

thecatneuterer Thu 07-Apr-16 10:57:47

OP - it depends on what the cat is like and what sort of shelter it is. If you can answer some of my questions I will have a better idea of what to suggest.

Hillijx Thu 07-Apr-16 11:16:26

I'm keeping an eye out for it today......I will let you know

It's a magnetic one, will see if we can discourage the cat before forking out for a chip one, I thought the catches would be the same as he is just ramming himself through it regardless of the mechanism.

Pipbin Thu 07-Apr-16 11:23:12

We have a big nasty Tom in our area who piles into our microchip flap with full force. Not got in yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now