Talk

Advanced search

fluid in abdomen

(6 Posts)
fudgesmummy Wed 06-Apr-16 22:19:47

Our 13.5 year old male cat has got to go and have a scan tomorrow because the vet thinks he has fluid in his abdomen. He has got a heart murmur which has never caused him any problems but he has been breathing in a very heavy laboured way for the last few days. Any experience anyone??

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 07-Apr-16 07:48:05

Has his heart and lungs been investigated? Laboured breathing in a at with a heart murmur can be a sign of the the heart not being able to function properly.

fudgesmummy Thu 07-Apr-16 08:20:05

Thank you for replying. He has just gone in to have a scan to look at the fluid,I guess they will check his heart and lungs at the same time? I worry so much about him and his brother-much more than I do about my (now adult) children. I know he's getting old now but he is my baby sad

fudgesmummy Thu 07-Apr-16 21:46:37

The diagnosis is heart failure on both sides sad
He has had a heart murmur for about 8 years, we now have to give him medication twice a day to keep him alive

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 07-Apr-16 21:53:52

What was the prognosis? the medication should help lots.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 08-Apr-16 07:55:17

Very often they do really well on medication I like benzapril combined with frusemide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now