Talk

Advanced search

My 2 boys desperate to get out!

(7 Posts)
Lolimax Sat 02-Apr-16 21:12:42

My 2 boys are 6 months old, both neutered and chipped. We've been letting them out the back door (it's safer than the front) for the past couple of weeks under supervision for the odd hour and they've loved it.
We fitted a magnetic cat flap yesterday and they finally got the hang of it today but I don't want them out at night. I think they're too young and I won't sleep. So they're in now for the night and Murphy in particular is trying so hard to get out. I've locked the cat flap but he's a very unhappy boy. Has anyone got any suggestions? Does anyone else keep their cats in at night?

Vinorosso74 Sat 02-Apr-16 21:22:23

Ours stays in at night as it's safer for her. They are also more likely to hunt at daybreak so safer for birds and mice. We have had kitty curfew since we got her so she's used to it but there are the odd summer nights she's a little madam and is difficult to get in!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Apr-16 21:30:24

We keep ours in at night, I used to put something heavy over the flap to stop him twanging it.

Or head butting it and breaking the door off.

feckitall Sat 02-Apr-16 21:43:16

We let our 2 8 month old boys out in the morning and when they come back we shut them in.
If we have to go out and keep them in later they sulk and refuse to come back in...and waltz in the next day...

Lolimax Sat 02-Apr-16 21:55:07

Thanks all. Both have given up the tantrums and have fallen asleep now!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Apr-16 21:59:07

Dh stayed up until 4am one day because the cat wouldn't come in. I was in bed wearing earplugs & he woke me up.

I don't remember feeling particularly relived to be honest.

bertsdinner Sat 02-Apr-16 22:01:23

My old cat ( a 14 year old male), loved going out, but I kept him in at night. I just think they are more likely to get into fights and be injured, or hit by cars at night as they roam further under cover of dark.
My old fella didnt like it, especially in warmer weather, but he got used to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now