Talk

Advanced search

Any suggestions to save a cat from rehoming?

(23 Posts)
msrisotto Fri 01-Apr-16 20:40:54

Indoor cat, 6.5 years old. We've had problems for a long time with her urinating where she shouldn't. Always by doorways. Some I have blocked (with a litter box she never uses and the other with a scratching post she never uses), but I can't block the front door. So that's the problem area. Yesterday I saw her see a cat from the upstairs window at the front of the house, she ran downstairs to the window in the downstairs loo which is also at the front of the house, right next to the door. So i'm guessing she is marking her territory. I'd put opaque film over the bottom window (in the loo) months ago, but she just reached up and looked through the top window. Maybe sight blocking the top would help too, maybe not.
She's currently sitting about 5 foot away from the door looking at it.

I'm at the end of my tether. I hate the smell of cat pee.

She's been checked by the vet, we've tried every type of litter going and believe we have the right one for her, unless she's suddenly changed her mind

Would letting her be an outdoor cat stop this? She's never been an outdoor cat and i'd worry for her as she's not smart but it's getting to thinking about it. Please help....

msrisotto Fri 01-Apr-16 20:41:55

Oh and she's neutered and it's not spraying but letting her bladder out.

MuggaTea Fri 01-Apr-16 20:43:59

Have you tried feliway? It might help if stress related? But you need to give it up to a month to work

Plateofcrumbs Fri 01-Apr-16 20:45:32

Yes I was going to suggest Feliway too, worth a try.

msrisotto Fri 01-Apr-16 20:47:52

I tried Feliway for years and it didn't stop it so I gave up buying it tbh.

OrangeSquashTallGlass Fri 01-Apr-16 20:57:39

I have a bit of a similar thread so watching hopefully for good ideas. None to add myself except completely removing any trace of wee seems to help repeat offences.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/2604070-Help-visiting-male-cat

lavenderdoilly Fri 01-Apr-16 21:04:32

Google Jackson Galaxy - American cat behaviourist.
Maybe put a litter tray where the marking is going on at least in short term.

Lurkedforever1 Fri 01-Apr-16 21:06:49

Unless you live in an area where traffic would make it too big a risk, I'd let her start going out. Her age should make it safer, because ime the older the cat, the more cautious they are.

Fugghetaboutit Fri 01-Apr-16 21:09:48

Why doesn't she go out?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 01-Apr-16 21:12:15

I'd let her out in the back garden, if she's spent all this time looking out she'll have a pretty good idea of the layout of the area.

No ones going to want a cat who soils, she'll just be in a cage at the rescue.

eltsihT Fri 01-Apr-16 21:12:26

My cats started going out at the age of 8years, firstly just in the back garden just before feeding time, 5 years on they don't go far.

In the litter note, my parents cat would only use soil which they brought in for the garden.

Good luck!

VikingLady Fri 01-Apr-16 21:15:15

We have the same problem, although our cats also have free access to the outside. We've never found a solution. The problem is that cats are inherently territorial so if another cat pees outside your door, your cat will feel the need to pee inside it.

msrisotto Fri 01-Apr-16 21:18:17

She doesn't go out because I was told not to let her out when I got her. But she isn't a (full) pedigree, her mum was ragdoll, her dad a tom cat and I think it was because of that.

I love Jackson Galaxy, have watched everything I can find, but i'm struggling. I can't put the litter box by the door when i'm out, I physically can't get my hand round.

I couldn't stop her leaving the back garden so if I let her out in the back, she'd get round to the front. Do you think it would help?

msrisotto Fri 01-Apr-16 21:19:58

Ok, I have ssscat which is a motion activated air spray canister and a motion activated solar powered sound deterrent so I can try keeping cats away with those. She freaks when they're more than 6 foot away from the house, I can't do better than that!.

OrangeSquashTallGlass Fri 01-Apr-16 21:20:56

Could you start training her to come to you for treats? Then if you do let her out make she she's a bit pekish and call her back by shaking the treats?

That might be terrible advice though, I only have an indoor cat (but she does come when you call her).

msrisotto Fri 01-Apr-16 21:24:01

Mine often does come when called, but only if there's nothing better to do grin

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 01-Apr-16 21:25:50

Tomorrow morning let her in the back garden before she's eaten.

It'll be quiet on the roads and her tummy will keep her close to home.

We've all had to do the nervous first outing & im not saying it didn't make me nervous but he was in such a happier mood afterwards.

Lurkedforever1 Fri 01-Apr-16 21:26:17

She'll be fine, and it's more than likely that when she has other distractions she'll pay less attention to obsessive marking. Plus when she discovers the front door also leads into the house she'll be busy proudly demonstrating her new found knowledge.

ttbray Fri 01-Apr-16 21:46:51

Try Pet Remedy! I've used it for cats, rats and dogs and its amazing! Get a diffuser and the spray. Plug the diffuser either near the window or the front door and spray it where your cat sleeps most often. As for letting her outside, there's no guarantee that it will stop the urination but she might decide the garden is her territory as she doesn't have to share it with the humans! And then she'll start urinating out there. But try to have a good think about her personality first. Of the cats I've had in the past it was always the ones that were mainly indoor cats that got hit by a car. If she's timid it might not be the best idea after 6.5 years of never experiencing a road.
I really hope you find a solution! There's nothing worse than the smell of cat urine!

msrisotto Fri 01-Apr-16 22:03:23

Of the cats I've had in the past it was always the ones that were mainly indoor cats that got hit by a car. Eugh that's exactly why I don't want to let her out.
She is super timid, scaredy cat. Hides from new people for a long time.

angryangryyoungwoman Fri 01-Apr-16 22:07:04

I would let her out

msrisotto Fri 01-Apr-16 22:09:31

I've bought pet remedy and put a deterrent by the front door.

If that doesn't work, letting her out might be the only way.

ttbray Fri 01-Apr-16 22:41:13

Don't worry about it too much. Just take it slowly with her. If she's timid she will probably be anxious about going outside anyway. Wait until it's a nice day, go and sit in the garden with her favourite treats and leave the back door open. Keep calm as she'll sense your anxiety. My problem was that we had a cat flap as on both occasions the accidents happened during the night. I'm guessing you don't have a cat flap so you can control when she goes outside. Let her out a few hours before meal time and she won't wander too far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now