Talk

Advanced search

Done to death, but what is the most effective spot treatment for fleas these days ?

(22 Posts)
AnyFucker Thu 31-Mar-16 17:57:42

Is it Advantage ? Cheers.

PS. the cat is riddled so this is to get rid of an existing problem

thecatneuterer Thu 31-Mar-16 18:22:54

Advantage is the easiest one to get hold of as they sell it in chemists and online. Other effective ones are Stronghold, Advocate and Broadline, but they can only be bought from vets. Advocate also kills ear mites.

AnyFucker Thu 31-Mar-16 18:50:25

Does Advantage actually work ?

RubbishMantra Thu 31-Mar-16 19:34:35

I use Advantage on my 2 boys, and it works for them. One of them is a semi - hairless breed with white fur, so I'd spot any cavorting fleas.

Stay away from Bob Martin (poisonous) and Frontline (doesn't work) and anything bought from a pet shop or supermarket.

TalkMeDownPlease Thu 31-Mar-16 19:38:03

Remember you need to treat all of the areas where they roam/sleep too. Otherwise they'll just get reinfected. I used a spray but was extremely tedious and stinky. Have read about flea bombs which effectively treat a whole room, might be worth a try.
<fails to answer original question>

RapidlyOscillating Thu 31-Mar-16 19:38:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfiefan Thu 31-Mar-16 19:39:09

Advocate. But regularly. Without fail.
Indorex in house if you have an issue. And Hoover. A lot!

gamerchick Thu 31-Mar-16 19:41:42

Advocate every month without fail. We get the odd one come in (I sometimes being them home from work) but they're few and far between and the cats flea free.

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meGoes Thu 31-Mar-16 19:46:57

We did Stronghold religiously every month, but the cats hated it and I found it stressful in case their antics made me spill and waste it, or we forgot. We've just had Program for the second time and although it's a PITA getting them to the vets it's nice to know that's it for 6 months. Both seem to work well, we've never had fleas.

AnyFucker Thu 31-Mar-16 20:08:56

it's not my cat, so can't take to vets

< long story > and this is the second year running I am asking this question

RubbishMantra Thu 31-Mar-16 20:12:39

You can buy Advantage online. Best flea treatment without a prescription.

AnyFucker Thu 31-Mar-16 20:18:46

the deed is done, thanks all

now to get it on the mutt without getting my skin flayed off.............

pumpkinpie5 Thu 31-Mar-16 20:27:18

I would for a national rescue. Advocate is the one I am advising my schemes use at the moment and it works well. Broad line is good too. There is also a new product called capstan which is available from some vets which is a tablet for and will kill all existing fleas on cat within a couple of hours which is good for a badly affected cat. You then need to follow up with the normal treatments regularly. The products go in cycles as once they become popular and widely used the fleas start to become resistant- as was the case with front line which was widely press ribbed previously.

pumpkinpie5 Thu 31-Mar-16 20:27:50

Capstar

gamerchick Thu 31-Mar-16 20:31:35

Do you have someone to help, preferably to hold the cat while you do the deed?

AnyFucker Thu 31-Mar-16 20:33:11

Yes, but two of us got flayed last time.

I don't know why I bother, tbh. It's not my cat (but I'm kinda fond of it).

BirthdayBetty Thu 31-Mar-16 21:05:04

Wear a coat and gloves and wrap the cat in a towel while other person dtd asap, this was the only way we could treat a cat that had 'chosen' us smile

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 31-Mar-16 21:39:20

You love that cat.

Don't try and hide it.

gamerchick Thu 31-Mar-16 21:41:00

Heh you really do grin

I agree, wrap it up and be swift. It's for its own good.

AnyFucker Thu 31-Mar-16 23:38:49

Yep. We've been chosen. Trying to fight it. And come the warmer weather if we want our windows and doors open, we will have to de-flea the little furry fucker.

Again.

gamerchick Fri 01-Apr-16 00:09:44

No point in fighting it man, I'm a very reluctant cat owner and the little sod rules the house.

Be firm its a necessary evil. Quick and painful by the sounds of it grin

19lottie82 Sat 02-Apr-16 08:51:47

We use Broadline which protects against worms too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now