Talk

Advanced search

spaying

(5 Posts)
HarHer Sun 27-Mar-16 20:08:50

Hello,

Our cat/kitten is now seven months old. She has just had her second heat. We would like to get her spayed but I am a bit nervous about what is involved. Can anyone explain the process and the aftercare?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 27-Mar-16 21:30:57

Bumping for you.

I'm not a vet but our females went in early, got picked up in the afternoon and were OK the next day. One girl helpfully took her stitches out.

It's a tiny cut now compared to years ago.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 27-Mar-16 22:42:25

They will have a general anaesthetic and then either have an incision on their side (flank spay) or on their tummy (midline spay) there are benefits and disadvantages to both and even within practices you will get different vets doing different approach.
They will almost certainly come the same stay and will need to not lick or bite their wound. There maybe internal or external stitched and they will need post op checks. Depending on the pain relief used they may come with pain killers.

Wolfiefan Sun 27-Mar-16 22:48:31

We had both our girls neutered late last year. (Before a season so they were quite young and little!)
Get vet advice about when to stop feeding and maybe take up water.
Take into vet first thing in the morning.
Collected late afternoon.
Do get a cone of shame. We were only given one for two cats and one kicked off the external glue and had to be taken back in!
They will need to be kept in and preferably allowed somewhere quieter and safe (could be a good idea to limit jumping for a while.)
Mine were very quickly absolutely fine. No painkillers needed and they certainly weren't off their food.
They can now go outside and I never have to fear we will end up with a "surprise" litter.
I did stress about it but it's such a small op compared to the benefits.

gamerchick Sun 27-Mar-16 22:55:50

Mine was in and out the same day. Painkiller injection that lasts a couple of days.

I did one season and made the spay happen fast, they're noisy buggers when Horney and clearly uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now