Talk

Advanced search

1 bedroom flat: would I be mad to get a second cat?

(7 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Sat 26-Mar-16 16:25:54

I've had BertCat for about 18 months. She is about 9 years old, raised as an indoor cat with 18 others(!), very passive, fairly inactive but still likes two bouts of play on a typical day.

On weekdays, I'm out for 12 hours. She goes nuts when I get back home and I'm starting to wonder if I should be looking at another cat for company? But...

She is very bonded to me: doesn't like being picked up (will tolerate it, but off at the first chance) but sleeps on me, follows me from room to room and sits on my lap or at my feet if I'm at the desk/eating.

She is very meek/passive as above. I suspect she was near the bottom of the pack in her old home and I think she wouldn't do well with a very lively cat or one that was looking to establish dominance.

My flat is not big... There is a space in the bathroom for one litter tray, just about enough space for food bowls and cat bed in the living room. Some of the cat toys I bought at first have been given away for taking up too much space, e.g. tunnel, cat tree. I would seriously struggle to put down any other kit, without it being tripped over.

Wondering if another cat would be the way to go, or if she's likely to be happier as she is: on her own for a bit too long during the day, but with no other cats to fight for food or attention?

OzzieFem Sat 26-Mar-16 21:25:29

All indoor cats go nuts at times. Mine usually start when it gets dark and especially around the early hours of the morning. They like playing tag, however one cat will often do it on his own, expecting me to participate. not at 0300, thank you I just pull the blanket over my head and ignore the various crashes that occur.

Do you play with them using string or other toys? They need to release pent up energy if they are an indoor cat.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Mar-16 21:28:35

You'd just have two pairs of sad eyes in the morning. Plus the new cat might bully her if they sense weakness.

MrsBertMacklin Sat 26-Mar-16 22:35:43

Yes she gets played with at least twice daily. SHe goes nuts when I get in, as in, is very very excited to see me, deep loud purrs, loud squeaks, until I pick her up for cuddles.

Yes, bullying is my main concern, she doesn't have any feistiness at all.

cozietoesie Sat 26-Mar-16 22:49:24

Your place sounds too small for two indoor cats to be happy in it, to me anyway.

Most indoor cats just sleep when the owner isn't around. (Cats sleep a huge proportion of their time anyway.) She may be going daft when you return because that's her routine - if she's having lots of attention when you're around, it doesn't mean she's unhappy I reckon.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 27-Mar-16 13:29:24

Thanks Cozie, better the devil you know, I think.

Must remember the 'woe is me' schtick is just that..!

VimFuego101 Sun 27-Mar-16 13:34:22

You would definitely need another litter tray for an additional cat - maybe even 3 in total. So if you can't accommodate that I would say best to stick to with one,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now