Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

talk me down from spunking 500 quid on a fancy cat

(145 Posts)
FakeFakeRecordsRecords Fri 25-Mar-16 17:26:11

I've always had cats, and they've always been rescues.

We got two cats last year. The first one was 9 months old black cat and he'd been an indoor cat all his life. We let him out (after a couple of weeks) and he was one of those cats that went from house to house, getting fed around the neighbourhood hmm. But lovely when he did come home.

Then we got a grey tabby kitten whose mum had been found in a friend's shed when she was pregnant. He's gorgeous and nearly 1 now. He hangs around our ankles, likes company.

But then, the first cat died after being run over - his territory was so large, I guess it was inevitable sad. We live in a cul de sac, backing onto other gardens, but he was roaming streets away.

Anyway.

I REALLY want another cat and I've realised I get a lot of pleasure from the appearance of cats - I love grey cats in particular. But, there's hardly ever any grey cats in rescues.

I'd also really love a lap cat. Our black cat was so independent I didn't get my needs met wink

Soo...

talk me down from spunking 500 quid on a fancy cat THANK YOU.

Peaceandloveeveryone Fri 25-Mar-16 17:27:23

Want me to see if I can find a grey rescue?smile

Peaceandloveeveryone Fri 25-Mar-16 17:28:48

Any good?

Peaceandloveeveryone Fri 25-Mar-16 17:29:42

Cute

Sparklingbrook Fri 25-Mar-16 17:34:31

Check out my grey rescue cat. smile They do sometimes exist, so it's worth asking. It's kitten season so if you were to tell the local rescues you want a grey kitten it's possible they may get one at some point.

iseenodust Fri 25-Mar-16 17:36:27

Our neighbours have a very fancy cat. It looks gorgeous and is supposed to be a lap cat. However it has made friends with a cat a couple of doors away so is often in their garden, it's often in ours and we regularly hear the neighbours calling for it to go in at 11pm so possibly a fail as a lap cat. It is a huge fluff ball with big saucer eyes.

Peaceandloveeveryone Fri 25-Mar-16 17:36:34

Yes, the ones that I posted are a rescue that have a whole clutch of grey kittens.

MrsMushrooms Fri 25-Mar-16 17:36:34

If you're willing to spend that much money, make spend it on travel instead and look around for rescue cats that are much further away than you'd normally consider? That way you still get a cat you like from the increased choice, AND you still get to rescue a cat!

PirateSmile Fri 25-Mar-16 17:36:57

Spunking £500 on a cat.
Is that you Adam Johnson?

PirateSmile Fri 25-Mar-16 17:41:08

www.freshfieldsrescue.org.uk/animals/detail/florence2

northernlostsoul Fri 25-Mar-16 17:42:09

I wanted a £500 cat. My uncle said all that money will be wasted when it gets run over. So I spent £70 on a rescue cat.

FakeFakeRecordsRecords Fri 25-Mar-16 17:44:00

OMG, MASSIVE HEART EYES at all of those!

We are NW though and yes, I take your point about spending it on travel, but it would be difficult to travel around work and kids at the moment.

Another issue is, the local rescues around here don't let you take a kitten if you have children under 5 and our youngest is 4. grrrrr. She's ace with cats. Really gentle.

There is one place that aren't that strict, so maybe I should just keep ringing them.

FakeFakeRecordsRecords Fri 25-Mar-16 17:45:34

also, can anyone advise, I was thinking it would be better to cat one younger than our current cat, so he can be in charge kind of thing?

Is that a thing, or have I made it up?

hollinhurst84 Fri 25-Mar-16 17:46:55

Mine is black but I melt just looking at him. He is also the most lap cat cat ever - he cries to sit on me, snuffles in my hair and is surgically attached to me
This is him, and he's a cats protection cat

PirateSmile Fri 25-Mar-16 17:46:57

Not grey but this one is amazing!

www.freshfieldsrescue.org.uk/animals/detail/marnie

AlmaMartyr Fri 25-Mar-16 17:49:44

I have a gorgeous long haired grey cat. She's also the most miserable cat I've ever had.

This one is in the SW:
www.margaretgreenanimalrescue.org.uk/41014

AlmaMartyr Fri 25-Mar-16 17:50:16

Sorry, cross post, I see you're in the NW.

Peaceandloveeveryone Fri 25-Mar-16 17:50:22

hollinhurst84 I always rescue black cats too as they are the least likely to be adopted- and they are like mini panthers.

FedUpWithJudgementalPeople Fri 25-Mar-16 17:52:04

I spent £500 on a grey Devon Rex, and I don't regret it. He is not a lap cat though - he's half cat, half monkey!

However on reflection were I to get another cat a rescue would be better. I also worry about pedigree cats dying younger or having illnesses. I had another kitten (also a Devon) who died at 9 months because of a genetic birth defect. The breeder just washed her hands of it.

If you do buy a pedigree be very careful about breeders and never take the runt of the litter.

hollinhurst84 Fri 25-Mar-16 17:52:17

Mine came to me as cat flu and FIV. He has neither gringrin
Happy days! He is just the most adoring cat ever, even CPL commented how much he just stares at me doing slow blinks. She said "that cat doesn't half adore his human"

Peaceandloveeveryone Fri 25-Mar-16 17:54:06

Oh look at this one

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 25-Mar-16 17:55:13

Can you buy a fully health screened kitten with pedigree for £500? It was £250 for ours 30 years ago.

2ManySweets Fri 25-Mar-16 17:55:41

Best thread title I've seen in forever 👍

yearofthehorse Fri 25-Mar-16 18:01:35

My beautiful grey Maine Coon was a rescue. I was very lucky though - haven't see another one since.

FedUpWithJudgementalPeople Fri 25-Mar-16 18:28:17

Fluffy - you can, yes. But it depends which breed I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now