Overgrooming

(6 Posts)
hugoagogo Tue 22-Mar-16 18:13:55

My cat overgrooms her tum and back legs, she has been seen by the vet last summer and he suggested some sort of food allergy.

She was given a steroid injection which helped for a few weeks.

I have changed her food to a hypoallergenic brands such as James wellbeloved and royal canin sensitive, I find if I feed her the same food for long she stops eating it. She's very small and a bit skinny, so I worry about her losing her appetite.
She is de-flead using advocate every month.
We tried feliway, but it made no difference.
I know I should probably take her back to the vet, but she hates going in her box so much: wails all the way there and all the way back.
What else can I try?

hollinhurst84 Wed 23-Mar-16 01:30:16

Mine does it too but his is "stress" related
By stress I mean "I can't sit on your lap/you moved in bed/today I hate the world" hmm
So say if I can't cuddle him because I'm cooking, he will sit just out of reach, look at me and then start grooming his belly. Sigh
He's on meds for it

AgathaAsprin Wed 23-Mar-16 01:55:08

I have an overgroomer and it's also stress related poor thing. Have found a brand called Pet Remedy works better than Feliway and whilst she still overgrooms the area she attacks has got a bit smaller.

hugoagogo Wed 23-Mar-16 08:36:01

Hmm she is a bit 'nervy' she is a rescue we've had her 2 years and she has calmed down a bit, but maybe defleaing religiously and trying different foods doesn't make any difference.

She doesn't seem bothered about her bald pink tum, but I worry she does it because its unbearably itchy and miserable.

bertsdinner Wed 23-Mar-16 20:40:49

My old cat overgroomed. She was a feral kitten and always remained quite feral, as well as being very nervous and timid ( though there was a will of steel under that timid exterior).
I noticed a bald, raw area of skin on her leg which turned out to be over grooming. I think fireworks being set off in our area set her off as she was terrified of loud bangs. The vet gave her a short course tranquillisers and it did calm her down.
She got better as she got older, but always groomed a lot when she was nervous.

TimeIhadaNameChange Thu 24-Mar-16 09:36:17

I've got another one, and am interested to see you switched to James Wellbeloved. Did it help at all (until she got fed up with it)? I ask because I had a wee bag (only as I'd had a P@H voucher) and she loved it. Is quite upset it's finished and she's had to go back to Whiskas. Feliway doesn't seem to have done anything and I can't say she's a nervous cat so a food allergy sounds possible. I'll buy some more JWb and see if it helps.

(Have taken her to the vets about it but the first reckoned it was just how she lies down (hmmm) and the second said it could be an allergy but it would be expensive to find out and as it's not bothering her (the skin's not at all red) it probably wouldn't be worth investigating.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now