Talk

Advanced search

Cat won't use litter tray but can't be let out for a couple of days

(11 Posts)
cuntycowfacemonkey Tue 22-Mar-16 10:03:47

Found our cat in a bad way yesterday could barely walk and falling all over the place. Vet gave her a thorough exam ruled out any broken bones but is unsure what's causing the issue. Could be trauma could be neurological. Gave her a good dose of painkillers and she has improved greatly over the last 24 hours. We're going back to the vet later so she can decide whether or not it needs further investigation. However in the mean time cat is being kept in but have bought a litter tray which she keeps getting in and out of but not actually doing anything. Do you think she's struggling to pee and poop or is she not getting what the tray is for (she's old and never had one). She is eating and drinking well so am surprised she hasn't been at all.

cozietoesie Tue 22-Mar-16 10:43:37

From what you say, it sounds as if she knows what it's for but can't evacuate for some reason. When are you due at the vets?

Have you checked behind couches etc by the way?

cozietoesie Tue 22-Mar-16 10:45:07

PS - how old is she?

cuntycowfacemonkey Tue 22-Mar-16 11:27:59

she's 12. She has confined to the kitchen for the last 24 hours to keep other cat away from her so nowhere else she could have gone. She keeps getting in and out and squatting but nothing appears to be happening. We are booked in at the vets in a couple of hours.

The vet manually evacuated her bladder yesterday so they could test her urine but she has been eating and drinking well since then so I think she must be struggling to go for some reason. Hard to tell with kitty litter but am fairly certain she hasn't been for a pee either. sad

cozietoesie Tue 22-Mar-16 12:53:27

I'm sure you'll explain all to the vet. Maybe she'll need a temporary assist for some reason but a diagnosis sounds pretty crucial.

Good luck this afternoon and let is know what happens?

By the way - from my perspective at any rate, 12 isn't that old at all. smile

RubbishMantra Tue 22-Mar-16 15:24:42

I she's going into the tray and squatting, it would seem like she knows what it's for. Something, pain or a blockage or arthritis sounds likely. *Cozie is the expert on arthritis in middle aged/elderly cats.

Has the vet investigated for a stroke?

Poor little girl, I hope she'll be OK. flowers

RubbishMantra Tue 22-Mar-16 15:29:09

* For what it's worth, my (ex) vet didn't pick up a broken pelvis.

RubbishMantra Tue 22-Mar-16 15:30:45

* ...pick up on a broken pelvis.

cuntycowfacemonkey Tue 22-Mar-16 20:31:37

Hi turns out that it was a stroke, we brought her home while we decided what to do but she was in a sorry state. We had a couple of hours cuddled on the sofa before the vet came out to put her to sleep sad

cozietoesie Tue 22-Mar-16 20:48:17

Achh.

I'm so sorry.

Take care of yourselves.

isamonster Tue 22-Mar-16 20:56:19

I'm so sorry to hear this. Take care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now