Talk

Advanced search

I feel awful :( I've accidentally hurt the cat

(10 Posts)
FlowersAndShit Sat 19-Mar-16 19:39:54

I feel terrible. I just assembled a cat tree for my 2 year old boycat. I went to pick him up to put him on it (he doesn't really like being picked up, but tolerates it and I put him down within 5 seconds). As I went to pick him up he moved quickly as I had my hands around his belly and I ended up applying too much pressure and ended up squeezing him quite hard trying to hold onto him sad. He sqeaked slightly but I feel awful that I might've hurt him. Please tell me he'll be ok sad

FlowersAndShit Sat 19-Mar-16 19:40:47

he's currently curled up on the sofa with me so I hope he still trusts me sad

Lweji Sat 19-Mar-16 19:43:56

He's fine. I step on mine all the time because he's a silly ninja who likes to stand too close to my feet when I'm working in thr kitchen.
Don't worry. smile

cozietoesie Sat 19-Mar-16 19:48:08

He'll be fine - these things happen. smile

If I've ever hurt one of my boys by accident - or startled them badly or something similar - I always apologise profusely. Sounds daft but they seem to learn that it means things are OK now. Then I revert to routine.

Besides which, he's curled up next to you. Why shouldn't he still trust you? smile

Jitterybug Sat 19-Mar-16 19:48:31

Don't worry they usually forgive quickly if its a one off.

My dm was wearing stilettos and stepped backwards, unknowingly on to the cats tail, cat yelped and bolted, half of his tail was left behind sad. Still went and sat on her knee an hour later though.

FlowersAndShit Sat 19-Mar-16 20:02:48

Thanks all, was worried you might give me a bollocking blush. I think it was a reflex reaction when I grabbed him as he moved, even though he wasn't in danger it was just an automatic reaction if that makes sense. I have apologised to him and he seems happy enough!

Oh god jittery I didn't even think that was possible. I know cats can break their tail but I didn't know it can come off in sections, like a worm? shock

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 19-Mar-16 20:05:20

It'll be ok. I've done loads of things to ours by accident & he forgives.

Hes been smacked in the face a few times.

RubbishMantra Sat 19-Mar-16 21:28:10

I've had to grab Little Monsieur on occasion, to stop him legging it into the cellar - one of those old coal cellars, with heavy trap doors, and lots of places a small cat could lose themselves in.

First time he went and sat outside NDN's house, with a "Please adopt me, my Mummy's mean" sadface and did a sort of "pffft" huffing noise whenever he caught my eye.

Icequeen01 Sat 19-Mar-16 22:05:20

Many years ago my DH hit our cat in the face with a garden sythe. shockshockShe was hiding in the long grass at the bottom of our garden and my DH had no idea she was there. She was very timid and instead of running away from him she ran into the sythe. I remember my DH screaming for me to come. The poor cat was in shock and I scooped her up and at first glance it looked as though she just had a split lip. We raced her to the vet and it was much worse than we thought and she had to have her jaw wired. She lived for many years afterwards I'm pleased to say- now that's when you should feel guilty!!

PestilentialCat Sat 19-Mar-16 22:20:23

One of mine squeaks whenever she's picked up - just her little protest I think. The other one usually hisses & tries to bite me. I once really hurt the squeaker by accidentally stepping on her tail she was swarming around my feet - the yowling "ouch" noise was unmistakeable sad She quickly forgave me though Dreamies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now