Talk

Advanced search

Meows but won't come in

(9 Posts)
WalkingBlind Wed 16-Mar-16 23:23:13

My cat sneaks out at every opportunity then sits and yowls (horrendously) at my windows/doors but when I open them to let her in she runs off. There's no coaxing her either.

She's not afraid of anything while she's in the property, she will come in if I leave the door open and leave the room (and then race back in to shut it behind her before she gets there first!) BUT I have two indoor cats who live in the room the door is connected to.... So I can't walk away from it without putting them in a crate and god knows how long she will feel like taking (it can be hours).

It's very clear she just wants constant open access and is yowling for me to leave the front door open but with the other two cats, an already freezing home and risk of thieves, I just can't do that sad I don't understand why she's desperate to get out and desperate to get in as well seconds later.

Coldtoeswarmheart Wed 16-Mar-16 23:27:59

How old is she?

WalkingBlind Wed 16-Mar-16 23:49:05

She's 2-3ish, they aren't sure as she was a rescue but I've had her for a year now and she's only recently started doing this. She's neutered

Coldtoeswarmheart Thu 17-Mar-16 00:02:48

Only asked as mine took to doing that aged 14 due to senility, bless her - unlikely in your youngster smile

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 17-Mar-16 00:05:47

This is actually an official "cat thing to do".

abigamarone Sun 20-Mar-16 00:03:19

The reason 'why' is because they can. I was doing some decorating near the front door before Christmas and one of my cats kept coming to me and looking meaningfully at the door (no meowing, he doesn't believe in it) I'd open it to let him out, he'd run round to the back, through the cat flap and back to me, and look meaningfully at the front door until I opened it. 14 times in half an hour he did that.

cozietoesie Sun 20-Mar-16 01:37:38

Every so often, the best ordered cat will test the rules in my experience. If you hang tough, they'll sort of shake themselves as if to say 'Oh, she means it......' And then go back to the normal routine.

Start to waver and................. grin

ClarenceTheLion Sun 20-Mar-16 01:59:17

Lol! You just reminded me, my cat used to act nuts when it rained. She'd meow by the front door, so I'd dutifully go over and open it. She'd look out at the rain, scowl at me for inconveniencing her, then go to the back door and meow to go out, then scowl at me again when she found it was raining there too, and go off to try the front again! She drove me crazy in the rainy season!

hollinhurst84 Sun 20-Mar-16 03:07:51

I can't have a cat flap (long story, my indoor FIV cat is now not FIV)
So we have a window he uses. I spend my life going "you're either in or you're out!!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now