Talk

Advanced search

Moving to the UK with cats

(3 Posts)
evuscha Wed 16-Mar-16 19:30:18

Dear experienced cat owners

I have just got a confirmation to relocate to the UK (due to career) from another EU country and I am of course taking my two cats with me (they are 3 and 4 years old). I therefore have a set of questions that I would love your help with if possible?

- I´m taking them by car, it´s a 15-hour journey, do you have any experience of how to keep them calm during the trip? They are not huge fans of their travel boxes even for a 2-hour trip but I figured this is less stressful than airport etc
- as for formalities, I assume they need to be microchipped, vaccinated and have an EU pet passport...anything else?
- how to look for a flat that allows pets? They are house cats, well behaved, but many ads seem to say no pets :-/
- catsitting: is there any service you are particularly happy with in west/southwest London? Or is it better to just post an ad and find an individual to come and check them? (I am a bit paranoid about this one already)

Thank you so much in advance!

Miloarmadillo1 Wed 16-Mar-16 19:38:31

I'd try either Pet Remedy or Feliway spray in their boxes. Can you get a really big carrier for them? Little cat boxes and 15 hrs is not a good mix. They need space for food, water, a bed and a litter tray, for a start.
The PET travel scheme requires them to be Idchipped and vaccinated for rabies at least 21 days before travelling. They then need to be wormed by a vet and an entry made in the passport just before travelling (I think within 48 hrs but please double check).
A lot of rental properties don't allow pets. I guess if you contact estate/letting agents directly they may know if landlords are flexible on this one?
Can't help on the cat sitting but if you register with a vet once you arrive they may well be able to recommend someone local.

evuscha Wed 16-Mar-16 19:58:09

Thank you, all good points! The really big carrier is a good idea along with Feliway. I did consider flying but with the travel to and from the airport and all the time there plus noisy flight etc I reckoned a car is a safer option for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now