We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My cat keep weeing in the house :(

(11 Posts)
EclecticFox Sun 13-Mar-16 14:13:46

She has never gone anywhere other than her litter tray or outside.
After a year of being an outdoor cat she stopped using her litter tray. So after six months I took it away.

A few weeks ago I locked the cat flap so I could clean it. And stupidly forgot to unlock it again.

She used a corner of the carpet in the living room because she had no where else to go.

I cleaned the area and the cat flap has been used by her since. Yet she would still dog there and use it as a toilet.

I have since put the litter tray where she has been 'going'.

She is now using that instead of going out which I have no problem with. But I am now finding she is also going in other places in the living room. Have just picked up my works bag off the floor to find she had weed on it sad

Not sure how best to tackle it! I am keeping her tray clean. She can come in and out as she pleases.

Can I do anything to stop her using the carpet / clothes / bags?

Have had her checked and she is a very healthy cat.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 15:02:27

It sounds as if she's got herself all confused about what you're wanting her to do.

How are you cleaning up the spots where she's peed? And is she pooing outside or inside in her tray?

EclecticFox Sun 13-Mar-16 15:06:43

She is using the litter tray for both. It is also using other areas too :/

I have been using a multipurpose type spray. Is that maybe making it worse?

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 19:11:06

It might just be so - for example, I think if it has any ammonia in it, the cleaned patch can end up smelling like pee to their sensitive noses. I'm sure other posters can give you a steer on cleaning effectively.

I'd be getting another tray for her. She may have developed fusspot tendencies and some cats really dislike peeing and/or pooing in a place that has been used recently for the other function. (My own old boy is one such. He has two trays and uses both in quick succession.)

It may be a combination of factors causing the issue. Worth a try to do good cleaning and put in another tray though, I think.

Pancakeflipper Sun 13-Mar-16 19:16:20

I would get her checked out for a UTI - our cat starts wearing inside when he's got an infection.

To clean there's several products.

I find using a biological washing powder then spraying with a mix of water and surgical spirit works to remove the scent for cats (and humans).

There's no new cats on the scene are there? Making them anxious?

EclecticFox Sun 13-Mar-16 20:11:44

Hmmm. I have just realised that the wee on my work bag probably isn't hers. Have spent hours trying to scrub it. It definitely stinks like Tom cat pee!

The cat flap catch has broken, so the microchip thingy has not been working. So have realised that ANY cat can get in and out!

Have locked it so even mine can't use it and will just have to let her in and out through the door when I'm in.

I'm not sure if girl cats scent mark? Or if a boy cat weeing in their territory effects them?

Anyway will give everywhere another good scrub. If that doesn't work maybe a carpet cleaner might.

She is using the litter tray btw. Will ensure its kept clean for her so no excuses. She doesn't 'seem' stressed but I know that doesn't mean she may not be.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 20:20:54

Ah ! Well if you have one neighbourhood tom coming in, you could have twenty for all you know! grin

Shall you be buying a new flap?

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 20:22:23

PS - having strange cats wandering around her place and spraying/whatever could most definitely affect her.

EclecticFox Sun 13-Mar-16 20:25:17

I'm hoping I can fix it which will be cheaper than replacing the entire flap. I just need to find the time to try and get someone to look at it.
It's the catch that goes down when the microchip is registered. It's stopped going down if that makes sense?

I have changed the batteries and reset it etc but it seems to be a fault with the actual catch.

I probably just need to replace the little catch but I'm no good with things like that so need to speak to someone who fits them or makes them.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 20:26:09

PPS - I don't know whether the bit that has broken can be replaced without the need to replace the whole unit? It might be worth your while emailing the firm and checking that out.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 20:26:44

X post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now