Talk

Advanced search

Made a BIG mistake

(20 Posts)
Daftaboutthecat Sun 13-Mar-16 09:18:31

I took pity on my cat who has been desperate to get out this morning and let him out 2 hours AFTER his breakfast he was mooching for more food so thought it would be OK. He just straight on garden wall and just followed along all neighbours gardens until he was out of sight! It's only been 10 mins and I am already panicking hmm

Sparklingbrook Sun 13-Mar-16 09:20:21

Is he not allowed out?

juniperdingleberries Sun 13-Mar-16 09:22:35

Do you not usually let your cat out?

Daftaboutthecat Sun 13-Mar-16 09:22:36

Yes this is his first time out while living here he is a 1 year old rescue so I was keeping him in until he got used to us and the house.

juniperdingleberries Sun 13-Mar-16 09:23:22

He's probably just desperate to explore then. Have you kept him in long enough that he's used to the house?

Daftaboutthecat Sun 13-Mar-16 09:23:43

Really should have waited until just before dinner

Sparklingbrook Sun 13-Mar-16 09:23:46

So how long has he been in?

Daftaboutthecat Sun 13-Mar-16 09:24:55

He has been in 3 weeks cats protection said 6 but vet said 2 really really wish I had waited the 6 now but couldn't stand him constantly forlornly looking out the windows any longer

Lweji Sun 13-Mar-16 09:26:49

I did that with my 5 month old kitten. It was night when I finally found him he decided to come back.

Sparklingbrook Sun 13-Mar-16 09:27:09

Oh that's good if it was 3 days I would be worried. 3-4 weeks is about right. He should be back when he's hungry.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 13-Mar-16 09:29:15

3 weeks is quite a good length of time. He'll just be having fun exploring I'm sure.

I can't remember how long we kept our cat in when we first got her but when we moved house she gave me the slip after 3 days and disappeared for a good few hours. She came back at dinner time though smile

Penfold007 Sun 13-Mar-16 09:30:08

After three weeks he will have decided if he is going to adopt you or not. He will have an explore and come home for feeding.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 09:38:03

That first experience of the tail disappearing over the wall can be terrifying so I sympathise with you. There's very little you can do now though.

Good luck.

(He should be home for his supper or maybe even earlier - probably having great fun having a good explore.)

Daftaboutthecat Sun 13-Mar-16 09:38:14

He's back and scoffing some cat pate grin

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 09:38:38

smile

There you go.

Daftaboutthecat Sun 13-Mar-16 09:48:26

He is now at the cat flap desperate to go back out. I need to go out for a couple of hours in an hour though and not quite ready to be out when he is out yet

lljkk Sun 13-Mar-16 09:54:25

Cats are territorial, once he knows your home as his home territory, he'll want to come back as long as it's a nice place to live (I'm sure it is). They don't like new places much.

My mom never kept our cats in for 3 days after moving house or maybe 1 week with the brand new feral cat. No one ran off forever.

Daftaboutthecat Sun 13-Mar-16 10:02:01

Thank you everyone feel very silly for panicking when he wasn't even away for 10 mins.
Another question though he has breakfast at 7 then dinner at 5 I was thinking of allowing him to come and go from after breakfast until dinner time do I need to build up to that or just let him out and hope for the best?

PolterGoose Sun 13-Mar-16 10:06:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Sun 13-Mar-16 10:08:02

I kept my cat in for 3 weeks after I moved, until I noticed her jumping in the always open landing window. Little monkey had been lettibg herself in and out since the first day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now