Talk

Advanced search

Is this a daft idea? Taking cats on "holiday"

(12 Posts)
pastaofplenty Wed 09-Mar-16 21:33:23

Six months ago we moved our two cats (after lots of angst on our part and MN advice) from France to the UK.

Cats are male and female (not related but known since kittens - aged nine and ten).

The move went well (aside from cat 1 escaping in the car!) and the pair are now in their new home. They have been here since September. They have settled reasonably well but given the winter weather and restrictions (no cat flap as rented property) they have less freedom than they had at "home" in France.

They are allowed out and are starting to explore their new territory more (though have been "put in their place" by a resident Tom). They have run of garden, park and the area is safe (fingers crossed).

DH is retired so he can go to France at anytime (think June, July, August) whilst I am committed to staying here to work in UK (aside from annual leave). We have a house there and relatives very close by.

We thought that the move to UK was a total one-off - we never thought we would ever do it again - however DH has suggested that if he went back to France for say two/three months he could take the cats back with him (and come back to UK and rented property in September).

This would be back to the house they (cats) were born in, their old territory and with carers (not just DH but family as well) who they know and trust.

So my question is this - after being reasonably settled here for six months and with summer approaching (they've never had a summer in UK) - would you take them back on "holiday" for a longish period or do you think it would just confuse them? Is it counter-productive?

One other reason I ask is that I would (during the summer months) like to take a two week holiday to France (at house) but if so that would either mean DH coming back to look after cats or putting them in a cattery or having house/cat sitters (none of which I'm comfortable with - cats have never been in cattery before and are quite demanding)

Any initial thoughts?

Thanks

AlpacaLypse Wed 09-Mar-16 21:35:51

Not quite the same, but I know a lot of retired people who bumble about in motor homes happily take their cats along. I suspect that as they won't have forgotten their old home, they'll be fine.

Just get an armour plated cat carrier for the escape artist!

Meow75 Wed 09-Mar-16 21:37:40

I'd do it. Easier to take them back to a place they are really familiar with. I've never done it myself but I think this would be eminently doable as it's not like the cats would be hankering to get back to the house in England.

Hassled Wed 09-Mar-16 21:38:36

I can't see why not if you're happy that the actual journey won't stress them unduly. If you were taking them somewhere unfamiliar I'd think you were crazy, but they'll remember their old home.

pastaofplenty Wed 09-Mar-16 21:43:26

Thanks - do you think "going back" will stop them bonding with their new environment in the UK or am I really over-thinking this?

cozietoesie Wed 09-Mar-16 21:44:54

I've actually gone on a UK touring holiday with my Siamese boy Twoago - but then they're different when they're strongly bonded. The Lodger, however, has been to two or three houses with us off and on and is pretty relaxed about it. Sort of shakes himself off and says 'OK - we're back here again then? ' and goes round the place checking it out before having a nosh and a snooze.

I think it could work.

Branleuse Wed 09-Mar-16 21:56:51

my parents take their cat with them to their house in france. She hated it the first time for about a week, but ever since then she is absolutely fine and doesnt even need settling in.

Papergirl1968 Wed 09-Mar-16 23:28:19

Not entirely relevant to your post but we took our cat to a holiday house in Wales last summer and he was fine, so we are taking him again this summer. But then he is very strongly bonded like cozie's Siamese.
The only thing about taking pets to and from abroad - don't you have to get them checked and certified by a vet re rabies or something?

pastaofplenty Thu 10-Mar-16 06:33:57

Thanks all - Papergirl1968 - they already have their pet passport, microchip and rabies vaccine (valid for two years I think) - so would not need a vets visit prior to travel. There's no longer a requirement to get them checked - that just applies to dogs and tapeworm treatment.

Papergirl1968 Thu 10-Mar-16 09:07:51

Ah, that's good. Go for it then. Just as a matter of interest, do they have to stay in the car in the ferry? In case we ever take ours to isle of Wight or somewhere!

cozietoesie Thu 10-Mar-16 09:28:51

I suspect it may depend on the ferry facilities. I've taken animals on a long ferry journey where they had a special 'animals' area' where you could take them and be with them. (I kept Seniorboy in his travelling box.)

The Isle of Wight would only be a short ferry journey I think?

Papergirl1968 Thu 10-Mar-16 16:22:14

Yes, I think it's only an hour or so including loading and unloading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now