Brushing teeth

(8 Posts)
problembottom Wed 09-Mar-16 17:24:53

Can anyone recommend a toothbrush and toothpaste for cats please? My puss has been for a check up - we have to brush them every day as he has plaque. I didn't know people actually brushed cats' teeth! I'm sure he's going to take it well...

cozietoesie Wed 09-Mar-16 18:38:50

I tried it and failed, I'm afraid - with two cats. Another poster might be able to give you more positive thoughts though. smile

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 09-Mar-16 18:39:05

We use CET toothbrush and toothpaste kit (ebay usually has it). You just have to get them used to it very very gradually - first let them sniff the brush, then stroke their cheeks with it, let them taste the toothpaste, then just inch the brush a bit more towards their mouths everyday and finally put the paste on the brush.
In the meantime there's a paste called Logic you can just offer them to eat which reduces plaque, and drops you can add to drinking water if they drink a lot.

cozietoesie Wed 09-Mar-16 18:52:58

How long did 'very very gradually' take?

RobotMenu Wed 09-Mar-16 19:00:31

I've got the Logic paste. I put a blob in her bowl after her last meal and she licks it up. I don't know how much it really helps, but at least I feel I'm doing something. I haven't had any luck with the brush yet, but can't say I've tried too hard as I didn't want her to find it negative.

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 09-Mar-16 19:18:33

Zara about a month. Bibi about a week because she likes anything that goes in her mouth in case it's food. The month is probably more normal.

problembottom Thu 10-Mar-16 00:02:11

Thank you, will order for items mentioned and give it a go. I am laughing at the thought of his indignation when I try and brush his teeth!

Daftaboutthecat Thu 10-Mar-16 17:27:04

I used to use plaque off for my dog you get it from Amazon I'm sure you can also use it for cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now