Talk

Advanced search

Cats have totally destroyed their flap- again!

(8 Posts)
Aberchips Tue 08-Mar-16 10:03:04

Got up this morning to find our flap totally off its hinges & broken beyond repair.We have had trouble with another cat recently & I think they fight through the flap to stop it coming in.

Am thinking of getting a microchip operated one but will it be any better? That way another cat will not be able to push through it.

Are they tricky to fit? I did this one one my own & it wasn't too hard-any experience of this anyone?

KitKatCustard Tue 08-Mar-16 14:44:37

M daughter's partner fitted our microchip cat flap in a very short time on Sunday. He says the are easy to fit!
Girlcat has learned to use it both ways. Boycat is a bit slower. Cat who thinks he lives here (but does not) is thwarted at last.

We programmed it before fitting by letting the cats get used to it in the sitting room (with added Dreamies) so it was a bit familiar when it was in the door.

cozietoesie Tue 08-Mar-16 14:57:51

If you're even halfway handy - which you sound to be, Aber - then you might find it useful to have a look at the various videos etc on the Sureflap site. The link is here. I suspect that the other brands might be very similar to fit but that will give you a better general idea perhaps.

Aberchips Tue 08-Mar-16 16:46:24

Thanks both. I'll have a look at the Sureflap stuff.Am restricted to Petsafe though unless I want to cut another hole in the door(i'm reasonably practical but not that practical!)

Hopefully it will be straightforward & my cats can get back to a degree of peace.Will have to block up the gaping hole for tonight though!

ManorMouse Tue 08-Mar-16 16:51:05

Good luck with going a whole night with no cat flap. I did that a few years ago when I was getting a new kitchen door fitted. Christ what a nightmare - being without a cat flap is like living with a million Hitlers according to my cat. I nearly hugged the workman when he came the following day to install the cat flap. grin

Hoppinggreen Tue 08-Mar-16 21:34:33

We've had several cat flaps broken by large Tom cats breaking in, these were pet safe collar magnet ones. According to the manufacturer a large cat can just break them and there is nothing they can do.
Got a puppy, that sorted the job out.

DramaAlpaca Tue 08-Mar-16 21:39:57

They are quite easy to fit. I should know, the dogs keep breaking ours so we've gone through loads of the things.

We currently have a gale blowing through from one end of the house to the other because both the cat flaps have been broken and we just have holes in the doors. Thanks dogs. A trip to Argos for replacements is overdue.

Aberchips Wed 09-Mar-16 11:55:19

Well we survived the night without a catflap. I think helped by the fact that it was pouring with rain most of the night so cats had little desire to head out! I blocked it up with a board & the (heavy) log basket. Ladycat did try to get out for a while (she is a bit thick at times though bless her!) but they soon settled down & they had the litter tray for backup.

Will see how we get on when the new flap arrives! I don't think the intruder cat is very big-if it'sthe once I saw at the weekend. My cats are just a bit powder puff when it comes to defending themselves!

I've left them with the flapless hole today as there's nobody in till later!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now