Talk

Advanced search

Cat keeps vomiting

(9 Posts)
Pointlessfan Tue 08-Mar-16 07:45:34

My 14 yo cat has been sick 3 times in the last 4 days and twice in the previous 2 weeks. That's not good is it? (Especially not for the carpet!) He's a house cat so won't have eaten anything outside and we haven't changed his food.
We recently took him to the vet as he'd lost weight and his kidneys, liver, thyroid and sugar were tested, all came back clear.
Any ideas what's going on? DH thinks he's just old and his digestive system isn't what it used to be.

ManorMouse Tue 08-Mar-16 17:00:43

My cat is nearly 12 and, just after Christmas, started vomming as soon as she'd eaten a mouthful of food. She was otherwise quite perky and interested in eating but couldn't seem to hold anything down.

I took her to the vet and he diagnosed gastroenteritis. I got a course of tablets (Somac) and she was right as rain after a couple of days. Since then she's only got sick about three times and all were hairball related.

Icequeen01 Tue 08-Mar-16 18:32:03

One of my cats a couple of years ago had similar. Vet did tests and he was diagnosed as having pancreatitus. Horrible illness and very painful for my poor boy. I would take your kitty back to the vets if he hasn't improved.

Pointlessfan Tue 08-Mar-16 19:16:30

Oh dear, neither of those sound good. He doesn't seem poorly in any other way, he's climbing all over me at the moment! I think if he's sick again within the next few days I'll get him back down to the vet.

StillMedusa Tue 08-Mar-16 23:47:48

I have a 16 yr old puker. She's always been inclined to puke hairballs (long hair) but recently it's been daily. Took her for a check up and the vet said she has somewhat thickened intestines due to age... gave her a jab and some laxative, and now she's back to a twice a week vomit (her norm)

Nothing sinister... vet reckoned she had had a mild virus and was slightly constipated!

Wolfiefan Tue 08-Mar-16 23:52:14

How are his teeth? Is the food coming back unchewed? Is it food for oldies?

Pointlessfan Wed 09-Mar-16 07:15:23

Actually last week they'd sold out of the senior cat food in 3 different shops so I had to buy the normal stuff, maybe that's it. His teeth are a bit ropey, he doesn't have many left! He's been sick again overnight so going to call the vet later.

Silvercatowner Sun 13-Mar-16 22:06:06

Silver cat's brother throws up anything but Iam's senior catfood. Literally. It's gross.

cozietoesie Sun 13-Mar-16 23:58:23

Seniorboy, at 16, started upchucking and his vet believed it to be due to his teeth - which were, indubitably, horrible. He had a full dental, including most of the remaining ones being extracted (they were that bad) and the vomiting stopped. I would judge that since then, he's been sick perhaps half a dozen times?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now