Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My cat smells fishy

(10 Posts)
foxessocks Sun 06-Mar-16 22:18:01

She doesn't eat fish or even dry food flavoured with fish (she has a duck one). The last two evenings when she has been sitting next to me I keep getting huge whiffs of horrible stinky fish smell. Not sure which end it's coming from...

Anyway a quick Google suggests tooth decay, kidney failure or anal glands. So not much help. I think it's worth taking her to the vet but dh not so sure he thinks we should see if it continues as it's only been 2 evenings.

Anyone had this with their cat?

BettyBi0 Sun 06-Mar-16 22:25:50

My guess would be glands or an infection. I'd recommend a vet trip just in case.

Even if it's just to prevent your sofa smelling fishy!

Gumps Sun 06-Mar-16 22:28:28

Most likely to be an issue with the anal glands. Not life threatening but a trip to the vet is required to empty them. The good news is that the vet can teach you how to do it grin

cozietoesie Sun 06-Mar-16 22:30:07

Has she had a vet check recently? And how old is she?

foxessocks Sun 06-Mar-16 22:39:46

Oh that sounds horrible! I'm pregnant and not good with bad smells atm so dh has been sniffing her to see if he can tell where it's coming from and he said its not her breath so I think you're all right.

She is 7 years old and has recently had her annual jabs and given a clean bill of health but I guess something like this can happen quickly. I've only noticed the smell the last 2 evenings.

cozietoesie Sun 06-Mar-16 22:43:32

Vet anyway if she's still fishy tomorrow morning, I reckon.

foxessocks Sun 06-Mar-16 22:50:39

Yes I'm going to ring the vet tomorrow I think although I will have a sniff first if I can bear the thought of it or get dh to do before he goes off to work at the crack of dawn!

I hate taking our cat to the vet she absolutely despises it. Ah well, needs must.

Thanks all

cozietoesie Sun 06-Mar-16 23:12:41

Good luck. smile

gamerchick Sun 06-Mar-16 23:15:20

I don't think I would want to learn how to empty anal glands envy I'd rather pay for someone else to do it.

They really teach you that? confused

dodobookends Fri 11-Mar-16 17:40:14

She's not being fed fishy cat food by a neighbour is she, or sneaking in a neighbouring catflap and pinching some other cat's dinner?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now