Cats got the cold?!

(11 Posts)
CommanderShepherd Sun 06-Mar-16 20:34:23

Hello wondering if you can help. I think my cat has the cold, she's been sneezing (but not full on sneezes) and has a slightly weepy eye which is worse than usual. Other than this she's been eating/popping fine not down in the dumps or anything like that. Is there anything I can do or give her to feel better? I'm currently 40 weeks pregnant also. She's an indoor cat, 6 years old

cozietoesie Sun 06-Mar-16 20:36:01

It sounds as if she has a dose of flu. Are her shots etc up to date?

cozietoesie Sun 06-Mar-16 20:37:09

PS - I don't think it would affect you at all.

derektheladyhamster Sun 06-Mar-16 20:38:30

Does she have any access to grass? Mine got a blade of grass stuck in its throat, which caused sneezing ( and an expensive vets bill!)

CommanderShepherd Sun 06-Mar-16 20:41:28

No access to grass, I have a feeling it might be a hair or something stuck up her nose. They got shots either last year or a good few years ago I can't remember, I have 2 cats both indoors and no access to any other cats etc. The other is fine.

buckingfrolicks Sun 06-Mar-16 20:47:45

my cat had exactly those symptoms. Vet said it was a chest infection, gave her antibiotics. But also said 'oooh, we're seeing a lot of this, this week', so I think its doing the rounds. Take cat to vets if it stops eating (mine did) as they lose weight v fast.

cjdamoo Sun 06-Mar-16 20:53:42

Cat flu can be nasty so do seek vet advise a course of doxy is often needed. Its also contagious. If your cat has had the jab she shouldnt get it too badly but here in Australia we reccomend yearly boosters.

CommanderShepherd Sun 06-Mar-16 20:57:44

I'll call the vet on Monday anyway, poor scone had a jag the other week for a wee infection in her claw but the vet said we caught it super quick.

cozietoesie Sun 06-Mar-16 21:12:08

Unfortunately, having their shots doesn't make cats totally immune from the cat flu virus although it should lessen the impact of any problems. What you need to keep your eyes peeled for, in my experience, are opportunistic infections so I'd vet her as you're planning and see what the vet says. They may want to give her some ABs for those.

My own old boy has some residual cat flu which has led to him having some problems since he was 17/18 when, presumably, his immune system started to get flaky. Has their routine been altered recently? (I'm thinking about possible stress and its effect on the immune system, cats usually being such creatures of habit.)

cozietoesie Sun 06-Mar-16 21:13:14

PS - Sorry. Is it scone who is sneezing?

CommanderShepherd Wed 09-Mar-16 16:43:58

Wee update, sneezy cat is fine now. Must've been a cold, her eye is a lot better and she's stopped the half arsed sneezing. Thanks everyone who commented. We've all been catching up on our naps grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now