Talk

Advanced search

Deformed claw

(6 Posts)
HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 04-Mar-16 10:13:41

Does anyone have experience of claw deformities in cats?

Mr Gingercat has a strange looking claw on his rear left foot. It's not ingrowing or causing him any discomfort (yet).

It's growing at 90 degrees, sort of up and over (rather than into) his fur. I'm fairly certain he can't retract it (he gets annoyed with me trying to look at his paws). It has a dark root which looks somewhat splintered/ overgrown/ inflexible.

He was at the vet less than two months ago with a limp (same paw). I've adopted him since then but know he was treated with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories under care of ex-owner (at considerable expense apparently).

I'm a bit confused that this wasn't picked up then, it doesn't look new. The limp was deemed to be an infection (no mention of claws) as the vet couldn't see any visible problem. Thankfully it cleared up with treatment.

Does anyone have any experience of deformed claws in cats? What's the usual course of action?

I'll call the vet at lunchtime smile

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 04-Mar-16 10:16:03

Oh he had to go back to the vet (with ex-owner) to check the limp had cleared up so the vet last saw him 5/6wks ago.

cozietoesie Fri 04-Mar-16 10:36:13

I've been lucky and never had a cat with such a claw problem. From your description, though, it sounds as if some surgical intervention might be necessary now that the problem can be seen?

How old is he? And what sort of state are his other claws in? (I'm assuming he's otherwise in good health.)

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 04-Mar-16 11:38:25

Thank you! I called the vet to discuss and he's booked in for Monday.

I guess I wanted to know how big a bill to expect (sigh wink) especially so soon after receiving a clean bill of health.

I checked and the info the vet has on file from last month is to do with an infected claw/ nail bed (same paw and claw) so it's definitely related.

He's 6 or 7yo and still pretty sprightly. I've kept him in at night since I've had him as he has a tendency to scrap with other cats.

cozietoesie Fri 04-Mar-16 11:54:12

One of the vets who occasionally post might see your thread and comment - but now that the problem is visible, I reckon you'll have to be guided by your own vet. One good thing about having a GA - if that proves necessary - is that, if appropriate, they can give him a really thorough check at the time, including (although he's only a young cat) his teeth perhaps?

Speak to the vet on Monday, anyway. They will be able to see him in the flesh and give the best view.

Good luck and let us know how it goes?

cozietoesie Tue 08-Mar-16 12:22:03

How did he get on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now