Talk

Advanced search

Rescue cat all of a sudden seems to not like me

(17 Posts)
Daftaboutthecat Thu 03-Mar-16 13:58:13

Hi

My 1 year old rescue who we have had for just over a week. Has been great shy for first couple of days then gradually getting more confident will jump up to sit beside me and always wanting to be close. He even let the toddler have a stoke in the last few days.
Until today he has had a look like he wants to kill me since after his breakfast went to stoke him and he bit me then grabbed my leg with claws as I was coming downstairs.
Is this normal for them to have such a personality change in a day nothing had changed in our home.

Daftaboutthecat Thu 03-Mar-16 14:01:15

Should add this is my first cat so no idea what is normal

Wolfiefan Thu 03-Mar-16 14:04:28

How old is the cat? Is he neutered?

Wolfiefan Thu 03-Mar-16 14:04:50

Doh! Just read closely 1 year old. Wants to play?

Daftaboutthecat Thu 03-Mar-16 14:08:44

He is neutured we play lots and he loves chasing the laser pen around which we do throughout the day.

Micah Thu 03-Mar-16 14:09:54

Sounds like he wants to play smile. Mine does this, it's a sign he trusts you enough to try playfighting.

He'll grow out of it, paticularly if he goes outdoors. He's just practicing his hunting.
Pita until then though- lots of playing and chasing games..

cozietoesie Thu 03-Mar-16 14:17:51

It's 'possible' that he's really starting to relax and feel his feet - so might just be pushing the envelope a bit to gauge your reaction among other things. (I've known that to happen.) It might be best to limit physical contact severely - all on his terms - while upping the amount of talking you do.

Does he have a routine yet? (I know it's early days.)

cozietoesie Thu 03-Mar-16 14:19:27

Sorry - playing is fine as above but I wouldn't be doing anything which involves eg hands or fingers for the time being.

Daftaboutthecat Thu 03-Mar-16 14:25:19

Thanks ladies yes he has breakfast at 7 then a wee play then he normally wanders off to have a sleep then he will have a nosy out the window he seems keen to get outside. Then he will look for me to play again when oldest gets in from school he follows us around dinner at 7 then he is quite active until I go to bed at 10.30 I don't let him in bedroom but he seems quite happy with this always waiting outside my door in morning though. Although he isn't there all night as he isn't there if I get up to see to dd2 throughout the night.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Mar-16 15:02:57

He may have decided that now that you're his home, it's time to be allowed out and he's fed up that you're not doing as he wants. wink

Do you know his history eg was he an outside-going cat before?

Daftaboutthecat Thu 03-Mar-16 15:06:02

Ha cozie it definitely feels like he is not very pleased with me at all. Yes he is an outdoor cat and was at the window like a shot when he heard the birds earlier. Cats protection have advised to keep him in for at least 4 weeks though.

TimeIhadaNameChange Thu 03-Mar-16 15:38:20

Cats are often not pleased with their humans. Mine spends her life complaining about my: inability to control the weather, not putting fresh food down every two minutes, daring to close the bathroom window (her doorway) in an attempt to keep some heat in, refusal to keep her mouse-blood decorations, my refusal to let her keep mice in the house for a rainy day... The list goes on. She does love me, but reckons I'm hard work to live with!

Daftaboutthecat Thu 03-Mar-16 15:46:07

Name change I love your response he was just so easy to please until today 🙄

ChipInTheSugar Thu 03-Mar-16 15:50:00

Voice of experience ... Don't have any windows open upstairs with a cat-sized gap confused

cozietoesie Thu 03-Mar-16 16:13:21

It's a nice balance. You don't want to let them out too early but neither do you want them to develop a 'thing' about going outside. You'll be lucky to keep him inside and happy for four weeks I suspect.

Daftaboutthecat Thu 03-Mar-16 19:05:21

Cozie when is the earliest you think I could let him out? He has his 2nd vaccine on Monday.

Roddas Tue 29-Mar-16 00:53:38

Hows it going OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now