Talk

Advanced search

Really poorly kitten - please keep paws crossed!

(16 Posts)
EleanorAbernathy Tue 01-Mar-16 00:55:22

I've posted in chat too, now I can't sleep as I'm so worried, so have wandered in here for nice cat stories!

My beautiful 10 week old kitten had her first vaccinations today - popped her in the bedroom after so she could be nice and quiet away from the other cats, checked in on her every so often and she seemed fine, a bit dopier than usual bit that's happened to the others after their injections.

Popped in for a cuddle at about 8pm and found her all floppy and weak, not herself at all. Phoned the on-call vet who said to bring her straight in.

The vet was really worried too, and said she'd never seen a kitten react so badly after vaccinations. The poor thing was still floppy and shivering by this point, and had a very high temperature, so had to leave her behind.

Rang the vet as soon as I got home - kitten had put up a bit of a fight to having the IV line in which is promising, and she's having antibiotics too. The vet promised to call if anything changed and I haven't heard anything so I'm tentatively hoping that's good news!

Photo is from earlier when she went for her jabs.

cozietoesie Tue 01-Mar-16 01:38:28

Poor wee lass.

She's in the best place though.

Fingers crossed here.

GRW Tue 01-Mar-16 06:41:15

My ginger boy reacted to his first vaccination too and was floppy and lethargic afterwards. He didn't need to go back to the vet or have antibiotics though. He was much better the next day and since then has had all his vaccinations and boosters without any problems. I think when they are very small their little bodies can't deal with it. Your baby girl is beautiful and I hope she's much better this morning.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 01-Mar-16 07:32:29

When can you ring?. Ours was ok with kitten jabs but his second year booster wiped him out and dh stayed up all night getting him to drink.

It's never happened again though.

EleanorAbernathy Tue 01-Mar-16 08:36:38

I just rang - she's much better and has purred! smile

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 01-Mar-16 08:42:39

Phew! When can she come home?.

cozietoesie Tue 01-Mar-16 09:01:22

Great stuff. smile

Roystonv Tue 01-Mar-16 09:06:09

Oh the little cutie, glad she is ok

EleanorAbernathy Tue 01-Mar-16 10:59:16

She's home!
Her temperature was back down this morning, and apart from a bit of a sore bum (she HATED the thermometer!) she seems back to normal!

She was just completely unresponsive last night, even the vet wasn't sure if she'd survive the night as she was so poorly.

So relieved, she really is a great kitten! smile

SirVixofVixHall Tue 01-Mar-16 11:02:23

She a girl? She is ginger! Gingers are always male aren't they? Unless they are chimera or some complicated thing like that?
Anyway Hurrah that she is picking up and sounds good. She is ridiculously sweet. So pretty.

cozietoesie Tue 01-Mar-16 11:22:44

It used to be so SirVix - with regard to ginger cats - but I seem to recall that the proportions are changing. About 75%/25% male to female nowadays I think. (There must have been a few very active unneutered cats around. grin)

Torties, however, are much as you describe still. Pretty well all female. (I think there may have been an allegedly male tortie in Scotland some years back but who can tell the truth of that?)

EleanorAbernathy Tue 01-Mar-16 11:33:00

Interesting tortie fact - allegedly Maneki Neko, better known as the lucky Japanese waving cat, was a rare male calico, making him particularly lucky! He's actually beckoning and not waving, and the story is a wealthy lord was walking past a temple when he saw the priest's cat beckoning him - as he went towards the cat lightning struck the spot he had just been standing in, and he was so pleased that he gave lots of money to the temple! smile

Ginger cats are more likely to be male, but there do seem to be more and more female ones around - mine has now finished stuffing her face, has hunted a few of the other cats and is now back purring on my knee smile

So pleased to have her back!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 01-Mar-16 11:33:49

I'm so pleased she's home and doing well.

cozietoesie Tue 01-Mar-16 11:51:01

I recall seeing a video of a Buddhist monk at prayer once. His (Siamese) cat was draped around his shoulders and although he was deep in the ritual, his hand kept going up for the odd stroke.

smile

(Just thinking about your story, Eleanor. I'm glad she's back and perky. smile)

Icequeen01 Tue 01-Mar-16 18:33:43

One of my cats years ago (funnily enough a Tortie) had a similar reaction and vet thought it was too much to have 3 jabs in one go so suggested that the following year we would do the the vaccination for the feline leukaemia a couple of weeks after the flu jabs. Sadly we never got to find out if that made a difference as she was killed on the roadsadsad

Your little girl is soooo gorgeous. I love ginger cats. Got two male gingers myself. So pleased she's ok.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 01-Mar-16 18:39:17

Male tortoiseshells are chimera, I do remember reading that, hence v rare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now