Talk

Advanced search

Worried my kitten is bored

(40 Posts)
SevenOfNineTrue Thu 25-Feb-16 19:15:27

Hi All,

I have a six month old kitten who has been with me for about 10 weeks. She was incredibly nervous and is wide eyed and jumpy at anything new so she has not gone out yet as I want to wait until she is more settled and the weather is a little better.

I worry she is bored. I have to work so am out 4 days a week for about 10 hours at a time. She has plenty of toys, she has food and water but when I come home she shouts and shouts for me to play with her with the laser pen. I play with her every day and she gets lots of love and fuss.

Should I get another kitten to keep her company? I know cats are not pack animals but it is the thought that came into my head. I am an experienced cat owner but only of older cats who are happy to sleep a lot!

Icequeen01 Thu 25-Feb-16 19:40:41

Personally I have always had kittens in pairs. We did this a few years ago even though we already had a cat but she was getting on a little and I didn't want her being pestered by a kitten. We brought home two 5 month old rescue ginger boys who were inseparable and played together all the time. I think one kitten on its own for such a long time would get bored to be honest

SevenOfNineTrue Thu 25-Feb-16 21:23:54

Icequeen

I went to a rescue centre and took home the black kitten that they could not rehome as she was terribly shy and afraid and no one wanted her. I am not looking for stories about how you are perfect and know everything about kittens, I am looking for support and solutions to look after my beloved kitten. If you can't say anything helpful then, stay off this thread.

Icequeen01 Thu 25-Feb-16 21:42:18

Wow, what on earth did I say? You asked if we thought your kitten could be bored and if we thought it would help to get another one. I was in no way criticising you and truly meant no offence and just gave my experience as I thought it would help. I'm sorry if you took it as a criticism, that was not my intention.

CrazyDuchess Thu 25-Feb-16 21:48:59

Wow OP you read Ice response completely differently to how it was intended.

Your response was just rude IMO

You asked a question and Ice responded with her personal experience.

And for what it's worth I work long days and decided to get a pair of kittens so they wouldn't be lonely.

shutupandshop Thu 25-Feb-16 21:49:15

Seven, you are way out of order. How rude.

RubyFlint Thu 25-Feb-16 21:51:23

So rude

StephanieKing Thu 25-Feb-16 21:52:53

Seven your response was very rude.

SevenOfNineTrue Thu 25-Feb-16 22:01:30

I interpreted the response that I was stupid not to get a pair of kittens hence my response.

I am not a rude person and apologise to Ice and anyone else offended if it came across so, now intensions have been made clear.

I have loved all of my cats and, after losing my last cat who was PTS because of cancer not that long ago, I went and found a kitten. I did not aim to get a kitten so am looking for help and advice.

CrazyDuchess Thu 25-Feb-16 22:03:26

Yes- get another kitten for company- as long as they get along

Lauren83 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:06:48

We have 5 cats aged 17, 5,4,3 and 1, they get on amazing and the last 3 came as kittens, it's so nice seeing them play together and groom each other. They really are best pals with the exception of the 17 year old 3 legged grumpy boy who just sleeps all day

Icequeen01 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:11:03

Where on earth did I suggest that you were stupid? I posted as a fellow cat lover with my own personal experience as I thought it would help. I don't understand why you would think I thought I was perfect. I am a relatively new poster who comes on this board just for advice and to share my daft cat stories. Stupidly, I was quite hurt by your post and it has put me off coming in here again if I'm honest.

CrazyDuchess Thu 25-Feb-16 22:16:59

Ice - don't be put off - OP had apologised and everyone agreed she was not very nice.

Keep posting - it's quite fun around here as long as you ignore other stuff xx

ScoopyDoo Thu 25-Feb-16 22:22:59

seven you are on an anonymous forum. People will usually therefore say a little about there experience, in order to explain why you might want to listen to their opinion. It's not being boastful.
I have two kittens the same age as yours. They do keep each other amused, and two is no more work than one (but does cost more).

Ice I NEED to see photos of your ginger boys smile

ScoopyDoo Thu 25-Feb-16 22:24:12

their damn it

Icequeen01 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:26:31

Well if you insist smile

Lauren83 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:26:51

This is 4 of my 5

Lauren83 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:28:14

And the grumpy old boy

Lauren83 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:29:04

They are lovely boys! Always wanted a long haired (and a ginger!)

ScoopyDoo Thu 25-Feb-16 22:29:09

Oh they are amazing!

SevenOfNineTrue Thu 25-Feb-16 22:30:08

Ice - I have apologised for taking your post in the wrong way but I will apologise again if you are still upset flowers

I was looking for advice but you posted that you had always had kittens in pairs and I took this to mean you thought I was stupid to take a lone kitten. You then clarified what you meant and I apologised. Please do continue to post here and do not be put off by my reaction.

BertieBotts Thu 25-Feb-16 22:33:05

Odd thread. OP you asked if you should get a second cat and the first poster effectively said yes this is a good idea!

I don't know if others know, though - would two kittens from different litters be likely to get on? I have only heard of people having littermates together before.

Icequeen01 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:33:49

Ok Seven, fair enough, let's start again. Perhaps my post was badly worded smile

SevenOfNineTrue Thu 25-Feb-16 22:36:12

ScoopyDoo I see your point. I can only apologise again I took the post in the wrong way.

Lauren83 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:37:31

Mine were always different litters, I got a new kitten after every failed IVF cycle grin and the others always took well to the 'newbie'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now