Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Choosing new kittens

(17 Posts)
Lamornac Mon 22-Feb-16 13:36:48

Hi -my children and I would like a kitten. I have always hankered after a siamese or tonkinese or a cross breed with these pedigrees. We have a big soft labradoodle who I am sure can be trained not to bother the cat and be companiable as he was with my previous cats but I don't want to cause the kitten any stress. Does anyone have any experience of these breeds with dogs? Also if anyone has any advice about where I can get one around the Midlands that would be great too - my search has drawn a bit of a blank. Thank you x

Wolfiefan Mon 22-Feb-16 13:38:47

How much do you know about those breeds? Siamese are very um unique! (I'd love one!)
Why would you go for a half pedigree rather than a log?

Wolfiefan Mon 22-Feb-16 13:38:57

MOG! Not log!!!!

Lamornac Mon 22-Feb-16 13:55:10

Grew up with half burmese and loved them. Grandmother had Siamese which I also loved. Quite keen to get an affectionate lap cat after 2 very shy and a bit vicious brit shorthairs and thought those breeds would be best guarantee of that. Half burmese seem ridiculously rare. Could just get a "log" wouldn't have to worm it then....

cozietoesie Mon 22-Feb-16 13:59:25

My own experience with Siamese is that they generally regard dogs as big stupid lumps irrelevances and disregard them. I would have thought that a big flobbler like a lab would be fine. smile

iloveeverykindofcat Tue 23-Feb-16 07:25:23

All the oriental types I've ever known have run rings around any dogs in their vicinity. They literally troll them for entertainment.

myname2016 Tue 23-Feb-16 07:28:02

Rescue kittens? Please? smile The shelters will soon be full of them and they are very cute, cheap and loads of fun. Please consider?

Lamornac Tue 23-Feb-16 11:45:09

Will keep an open mind - just want a lovely friendly kitten.😻

cozietoesie Tue 23-Feb-16 12:03:26

The main problem with Siamese - from your perspective - might be that they can 'bond' incredibly strongly with one person and you can't tell who that's going to be. It's great if you're 'their person' but might be a little difficult if you're not.

Do you have DCs for example? The new kitten might decide that one of them is IT to the great chagrin of the other(s). I'm not saying they aren't friendly and sociable with other family members - but it's patently not the same relationship.

BagelGoesWalking Tue 23-Feb-16 15:47:02

If you just want a "lovely, friendly kitten" does it have to be a Siamese?

Rescues are heaving with kittens and slightly older cats looking for homes. So many different colours and ages, you'd probably have your pick. And save yourself a few hundred £££s, I imagine.

Personally, I'd go for a slightly older kitten, or a pair, already neutered, vaccinated and health checked by a rescue. You can find out how they are with people/kids/cats/dogs etc which is particularly important as you already have a dog.

cozietoesie Tue 23-Feb-16 18:21:12

It absolutely doesn't have to be a Siamese. smile In fact many people would say that you would be better not to go in that direction.

littleladyluna Wed 24-Feb-16 21:58:50

I second cozie in saying that the bonding of a Siamese to "their person" can leave other family members feeling a bit left out. Plus kittens are so unpredictable in terms of personality. I've always found that if I want a specific personality then slightly older (older than 12 months so still young) rescue cats who have ideally been fostered in a home environment are the best bet.

Wolfiefan Wed 24-Feb-16 22:00:42

Friendly you say?

Wolfiefan Wed 24-Feb-16 22:03:40

See I grew up with Burmese. Feisty fun characters.
I love Siamese and I would love one of my own.
But we visited a rescue. Two beautiful tortie kittens. In foster so we knew their character. Used to a home already and litter trained.
I love my ASBO cats!!
BTW I think the reason you can't find half Burmese is people either have "logs"! Or they breed a pure breed with a pure breed. It's a money thing.
I would say breed is no guarantee of character. An older kitten or cat in rescue may make its character more obvious.

Mouseinahole Thu 25-Feb-16 09:30:17

Get a Tonk they have amazing temperaments and mine loved to retrieve paper balls and they answered their names. Not quite as vocal as Siamese but still very distinctive.

Mouseinahole Thu 25-Feb-16 09:34:21

My new kitten is a British Shorthair... I've added pics of him and my recently deceased 18 year old Tonk.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Feb-16 10:36:32

Wonderful pictures. smile

I actually think that certain breeds do show different characters. (I love the Siamese breed for example - or, more correctly perhaps, it's what I've been used to.) What you don't have a guarantee of in my experience is a kitten's individual characteristics within that overall breed framework. You can have bad-tempered Siamese and laid back, jovial Siamese for example. They'll still be Siamese but they'll be very different personalities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now