Talk

Advanced search

Should I be worried - one young cat not growing

(11 Posts)
Iwouldratherbemuckingout Sat 20-Feb-16 21:22:05

Between us, my sister and I have 4 young cats from the same litter. One of mine is much smaller than the others, he is bright and healthy - just much smaller. I also have a younger kitten who dwarfs him!

I suspect he's just a dot, but thought some wise litter tray bods may have advice.

Mincepies76 Sat 20-Feb-16 22:03:30

I don't know but interested to see any replies...my kitten is 6 months old and still pretty small...about 1.6 kg (not heavy enough to be neutered) He eats well and has lots of energy, I don't know when he'll stop growing....

cozietoesie Sat 20-Feb-16 22:11:09

Remember that although he's from the same litter as the others, he may not have the same father. Has he been to the vet at all?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 20-Feb-16 23:00:22

What colour are his eyes? This may seem a weird question, but there is a particular condition that causes stunted growth and is more common in cats with a certain eye colour.

cozietoesie Sat 20-Feb-16 23:03:02

Interesting, Lone. Does it cause any other symptoms?

AlpacaLypse Sat 20-Feb-16 23:09:40

Many years ago the mob of cats who led their own happy tribal life up in the top barn had a kitten who became one of the privileged indoor cats. He was a delightful ginger tom and spent much of his time curled up on various bits of my dad. He was a particular fan of the back of his neck.

This cat became known as His Shortship, as he stopped growing at 12 week size, for 18 months. He was perfectly healthy and happy, just largish kitten size.

Around 18 months he quite suddenly put on a growth spurt and by age two was a normal size adult male. Very male... he took to spraying all over the place and was most pissed off when he was taken down the vets for his snip.

He lived a long and happy life, still mostly around my dad's neck, until he was about 20.

None of the other tribal cats from the top barn ever showed any similar growth weirdnesses (although as I said, they led their own happy life up there and some of them were very rarely seen).

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Sun 21-Feb-16 07:09:33

Thanks guys - he's been recently to the vets as he had managed to skin himself, and all healthy.

I'll post about eye colour when I can get him to open them - he is currently wedged under my arm suckling my pyjamas and purring away, yup, soggy pyjamas for me!

cozietoesie Sun 21-Feb-16 07:26:22

He sounds fine. smile (I had sort of mentally dismissed him as being of runt status when you said how bright and healthy he was.)

sashh Sun 21-Feb-16 08:56:44

Misty is about 4 years old now, when she arrived I thought she looked about 6 months. She has never got any bigger.

I thought is might be that she had given birth, apparently females stop growing when they have their first litter.

I'm trying to find a pic to show her size, but most seem to be of her with nothing near.

Pic of her using my laptop as a warm tent you can see how long her front paw is - compare to the scratchpad.

And you can see her ignoring the radiator bed.

She is perfectly healthy, just small.

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Sun 21-Feb-16 09:04:26

I can confirm he has Amber eyes, but one intersting thing he always seems to have dilated pupils - his eyes look huge permanently.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 21-Feb-16 12:22:54

It is worth consulting your vet the condition I am thinking is linked to Amber/Copper coloured eyes in cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now