Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of getting a Ragdoll, anyone have one?

(11 Posts)
Seeyounearertime Fri 19-Feb-16 15:42:12

I would like a pet for the family, there's three of us. My GF, a 3 Yo Girl and myself.
I'm tempted by a Ragdoll for a few reason that i think are right so if anyone that has one can say whether i'm right or not i'd be very grateful.

I believe they are very gentle, so DD should be okay providing shes taught the right way to stroke, to play, to behave around the cat.
They are house cats only and wouldn't really like going out that much, we don't live near a road or anything but i know there are lots of dogs and other cats around us.
They are relatively large for house cats, something a bit substantial for my dog loving GF to cuddle (iyswim?)
they love to be brushed and combed etc but it's not an essential to do it daily, which I worry may become a chore, but every 10 days to a fortnight?
they're very laid back and wouldn't get too concerned or skittish when DD is playing (not with the cat but running around like little ones do etc)
They're healthy cats and have few inherent pedigree issues.

If all that is about right it sounds like they're a perfect pet cat to me, is there anything i got wrong or anything else to think about?

catbasilio Fri 19-Feb-16 20:49:51

I have a ragdoll. Apart the fact that I do not in particular enjoy having a cat (he was bought for the benefit of my children), he is probably the most laid back cat I have ever known. He is 8 months now. He rarely meows with demands. Even on the day I took to spay him, he didnt meow a single time while he was kept hungry overnight, went in a car, was left at the vets and picked up at the end of the day. He is playful and always follows you everywhere and stays by your side. He is very placid. He is picked up by my kids (age 7 and 5) and you could swing him by his tail (disclaimer: we dont do that!) and he would not complain or scratch.
We comb him occasionally (once in a week?) it does not moult too much yet.

The only drawback he is not a lap cat. He is always present in your face but he will not come on your lap unless you pick him up, and even then he will stay for a while and then move on to another spot. He seems to enjoy stroking and will purr but then turn his bum in your face and walk away. It is not a problem as we can always pick him up and give him a cuddle, I infact like that he is not intrusive in your space although alwasy by your side, but for some people it may be a problem.

Even a pedigree cat, each one of them can be different.

Seeyounearertime Fri 19-Feb-16 21:01:49

Awww that sounds perfect Catbasilio.
Thank you for the reply.

catbasilio Fri 19-Feb-16 22:03:14

I ought to post the photo of my cat!

Seeyounearertime Fri 19-Feb-16 22:35:18

He's a stunner he is. Wowwee. envy

We're looking at maybe end of year to get one. Plenty of time to decide, find breeder, make sure we can offer the bet home we can etc.
If we get one half as pretty as yours I'll be very happy.

KatieT12 Sat 20-Feb-16 14:30:31

cat - oh my goshhhhh, so perfect!

I have 3 cats, but they're short-haired!

Notmeagain1 Sat 20-Feb-16 15:04:11

I have a ragdoll and she is the sweetest, most laid back cat I have ever had. She's very smart and trainable. Mine is only 9 mo old, but we have taught her to play fetch and she will follow comands ( but only when she really wants to, as she IS still a cat). They thrive on human interaction and follows me around like a dog, but sadley not a lap cat. She will tolerate it sometimes, but she would rather stretch out in a chair by herself. Mine purrs constantly and I dont believe I have ever heard her meow.

Here's my sweetheart..

kitty555 Sat 20-Feb-16 16:37:22

We have a 9 months Ragdoll as well. He's beautiful (and well aware of that) and a very gentle and friendly cat. He's been taught well by our moggie so he is not just sitting around looking pretty but is rather very active. He is not a lapcat either like some previous posters said - if you pick him up he'll sit on your knee for a while to get stroked but then wanders off. Ours likes to go into the yard under supervision and actually loves the outside. He also loves playing and talks more than any other cat I have ever owned. And if he wants something (like food) he can be very demanding. All in all he is a fantastic cat and I'd always recommend getting a Ragdoll. They're just cool smile

kitty555 Sat 20-Feb-16 16:38:46

Oh and I should have said I am brushing him every day and at the moment he is losing tons of fur so we do have white cat hair all around the house. But we do own a cat and dog hoover too luckily!

Seeyounearertime Sat 20-Feb-16 16:42:08

awww gorgeous cats everyone. make me want one even more. smile
(once we are ready to home one obviously)

Sadmother Sat 20-Feb-16 16:45:46

It is interesting that many people are saying theirs are not lap cats. I thought mine were unusual for not liking to sit on your lap. They are very affectionate though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now