Talk

Advanced search

Getting a cat when we have an 18mo DS

(4 Posts)
Terramirabilis Thu 18-Feb-16 23:29:29

Both DH and I are experienced cat owners but neither of us has had a cat since before we had a baby.

We now have an 18mo DS.

DS adores any cats he sees and wants to go up and touch them. He is very gentle with them, but of course I know that some cats will react badly to a small creature trying to touch them, even if it is gentle.

Is it out of the question for us to get a cat in this situation? We have a part of our home (basement) that DS can't get into but there is a cat door for the cat to get down there. So s/he could get away if rattled and could have food and litter tray down there to prevent DS exploring them.

Anyone have experience with adding a cat to a household with a small child?

Terramirabilis Thu 18-Feb-16 23:36:25

I should add we would definitely be thinking of getting a cat, not a kitten.

cozietoesie Fri 19-Feb-16 10:32:41

I've not been in that precise situation, OP, but others may have and might be able to comment - so keep an eye on the thread.

smile

CheshireChat Fri 19-Feb-16 15:09:12

Well, DS was younger (8 months maybe) and we got 2! kittens, 1 cat adores him and allows him to pull her on his lap etc., BUT we had to take her brother back to the rescue as be wouldn't settle at all. Without going into all the saga he needed a quiet home which we couldn't provide sad.
So while I'd happily go for it again, bear in mind that sometimes it doesn't work out.
I don't find kittens particularly challenging, but I understand why it might be easier getting an adult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now