Talk

Advanced search

caging kittens

(6 Posts)
Lilyannapollyanna Thu 18-Feb-16 11:41:29

A friend of mine - well more of an associate I'm polite with - has just been bought a kitten. I think it's younger than the 12 weeks they were told but that's just my opinion.
Anyway - she's out at work all day five days a week. And she's keeping the poor little mite in a dog crate. I think this is wrong and that the kitten should have at least one room to roam about while its home alone 8 hours a day. Someone else happened to say this to her and apparently a vet said its perfectly okay to keep the kitten in the dog cage. And it sleeps in there as well from about 11pm to 8am.
I'm not a cat person and don't really know but surely a vet wouldn't advise that keeping a tiny kitten caged up alone 75% of the time is okay?
Just wondering as I don't know any vets or cat people to ask really confused
I feel so sorry for the poor little thing - I don't doubt the novelty will wear off

thecatneuterer Thu 18-Feb-16 12:09:48

Well it's fine if there is a medical reason (for example healing broken bones) but it's really not good if it's for no good reason. Do you know why she is doing it?

Kittens like a lot of play and stimulation - so at the very least a room to run around and some toys, but preferably also a litter mate to play with.

I'm not sure what you can do about it though.

Lilyannapollyanna Thu 18-Feb-16 12:14:37

She gets it out to play with it basically. She was bought it as a 'gift' from someone who felt sorry for her after being dumped! I'm genuinely serious there it sounds so ridiculous but it's true!
I know I can't do much about it BUT if she mentions it to me then I'm not the type to just nod along and agree. I think it's bloody mean keeping the poor baby locked up all the time.And I'm fairly certain a VET wouldn't have given her the all clear to do it!
Wouldn't mind it's already using the litter tray properly sad

Maryz Thu 18-Feb-16 12:27:00

The caging isn't the problem; it's the being alone for that length of time.

We had to keep our kittens in when they were young, and when I was out I confined then in a big double shower cubicle with a bed and a litter tray and food. But I only left them for a couple of hours at a time (and there were two of them).

Leaving a young kitten loose in a room would be a disaster - if it's not trained it would be a mess, and it could easily hurt itself if not supervised. So the caging is the right way to do it (provided it's a large cage).

Could she get someone to call in and let it out and interact with it for an hour in the middle of the day?

Lilyannapollyanna Thu 18-Feb-16 13:50:13

It's not a large cage. There isn't any space for it to do anything the litter tray food bowls and bed take up all the room sad
It's more frustrating that it's just a novelty to her and the poor little thing can be heard crying most of the day.

thecatneuterer Thu 18-Feb-16 14:07:10

We never advise our fosterers to keep kittens in a cage. As long as there are no obvious hazards in the room (ornaments/candles etc) then it's fine for them to run around. I've fostered a fair number myself and always give them a room to play in. They like to run around, but they like to have litter mates and company even more. It must be a very sad, bored and lonely kitten she has there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now