Talk

Advanced search

post spay!

(49 Posts)
TooAswellAlso Tue 16-Feb-16 17:56:45

I am such a complete novice when it comes to cats :-(

Girl cat was spayed today. We picked her up about 3pm. She'd had nothing to eat since 550 last night. And still doesn't want anything (cone doesn't help, but we offered from a spoon and she's not wanting)

I don't think she's drunk much either - though did notice she had wet in the carrier on way home so I've cleaned that up.

They're not normally allowe din my room (boy cat was done last summer) but I'm thinking of setting her up with food and litter up there on her own tonight as she's still drowsy, to keep her away from her brother.

What do I need to look out for? When do I worry about food and drink?

She's got a follow up Friday afternoon. I feel terribly guilty for putting her through this now, although I know deep down its better than kittens.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 16-Feb-16 18:52:27

See how she is in the morning, she needs to sleep off the GA. It's always a worrying time.

TooAswellAlso Tue 16-Feb-16 18:53:34

Ah ok, so it won't hurt her not eating until tomorrow? Boy cat is being fairly good and she's managing to stay away from him so far bless her

thecatneuterer Tue 16-Feb-16 18:56:28

It's probably the cone. if she hasn't eaten by the morning I would take the cone off for a bit and offer her food then.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 16-Feb-16 18:56:40

No, she might not eat everyday in the wild.

TooAswellAlso Tue 16-Feb-16 19:00:25

We took the cone off for food with boy cat when he was done. I'm waiting until the kids are in bed and it's calmer to try, I think noisy children and tv etc isn't helping

I feel so guilty when I look at her big eyes!

thecatneuterer Tue 16-Feb-16 19:04:24

She will be absolutely fine and you have done the best thing for her. You should only feel guilty if you were to leave her unneutered. Most cats don't even seem to notice they've been done. They do notice that they've got a sodding big cone thing round their face though smile

MissFlight Tue 16-Feb-16 19:14:19

I know it's a worry when they've had surgery, but I've had all my (many) cats neteured or spayed and all of them have been absolutely fine and recovered well. Give her lots of tlc smile

TooAswellAlso Tue 16-Feb-16 19:22:49

Thank you! I've only ever had one of my own - and he was a mumsnetters who moved abroad and I rehomed so he was already neutered and chipped. Having kittens is a whole new thing and hard work - emotionally and money wise!

TooAswellAlso Tue 16-Feb-16 19:47:39

I took her cone off and let her wash, not anywhere near the wound, but think having the accident in the carrier was upsetting her and she's had a good proper clean. She's sniffed the food but not keen yet. Going to give her a few more minutes and then put the cone back on

MissFlight Tue 16-Feb-16 19:50:11

Perhaps try her with a small portion of warm tuna, used to work a treat for mine post op.

TooAswellAlso Tue 16-Feb-16 20:03:08

Ooh tuna could work. That or cheese I was thinking?

MissFlight Tue 16-Feb-16 20:10:02

Yes, one of mine liked cheese. If you've got any dreamies, you could try and tempt her with them.

cozietoesie Tue 16-Feb-16 21:56:06

None of my boys wanted to eat after returning from an op - they mostly just wanted to pace. And then crashed out into sleep.) They didn't have collars even.

If she'll eat, all well and good but I wouldn't worry too much if she doesn't. They generally loathe the collars and that can affect their mood but also a GA is quite a big thing and it can take them hours to get over it.

See how she is tomorrow morning. smile

TooAswellAlso Tue 16-Feb-16 22:12:33

I'll let her sleep then, I'll take her up with me tonight though and put her in my room I think. She's very sleepy bless her.

Boy cat didn't have a collar originally, but he caused himself problems liking his wounds so got the cone of shame for a few days after. They send the girls with the cone every time, they've said ten days but I'm hoping at check up Friday they lessen that.

Thank you all for your help!

cozietoesie Tue 16-Feb-16 22:47:37

Good luck then and let us know how she's doing in the morning. smile

TooAswellAlso Tue 16-Feb-16 23:00:53

She woke and wanted food but didn't seem to want anything cat food like. Opened a ton of tuna in water and she ate a few spoonfuls. Have moved some water, biscuits, and one of the cat litters to my room and she's currently purring on my bed, having never been allowed in here before. Poor thing is shattered.

cozietoesie Wed 17-Feb-16 00:07:50

My Siamese boys always sleep in bed anyway so I just used to head up there with them and put on a movie or something. They were usually flat out by about 22.30 and then slept (heavily) through until the next morning. Then Up And At 'Em.

TooAswellAlso Wed 17-Feb-16 08:50:16

She slept solid until 5am. Then paced round my head a bit - so I showed her the litter tray and food.

She fell asleep again and did the same about 7. And she's asleep now.

I don't like them in bed as I hate being woken up! But she did ok last night.

Will offer wet food this morning with the collar off and see what happens.

cozietoesie Wed 17-Feb-16 08:55:05

I was going to ask how she was this morning. smile Doesn't sound too bad at all to me.

TooAswellAlso Wed 17-Feb-16 09:36:39

She's eaten some wet food (literally mouthful maybe two) with the collar off, we let her wash and then we put it back on. Just found her eating a little more with the collar on which is good.

Not sure what to do when we go out for a couple of hours in a bit (dentist appointments) - shall I leave her downstairs with her brother in her normal surroundings? He's shown an interest in her wound but she's batted him off so far, and I'd hate for her to have an accident in my room even with the litter tray etc there.

TooAswellAlso Wed 17-Feb-16 09:37:12

Just seen her eating again with the collar on - she's not doing too bad

cozietoesie Wed 17-Feb-16 09:52:32

I tend not to use collars - there's usually someone with the boys post-op and they've been an obedient bunch who would stop investigating wounds if told. ( And they've hated collars with a deep hate.) I seem to recall, though, that some posters have found raising food and water bowls in some way (eg putting them on a cardboard box) has been helpful to the collar-bound. One of them might comment.

Spontaneous eating on her part sounds OK though so she may have made a good adjustment. smile

Personally, I'd rather leave her in semi-normal surroundings but I'm conscious that you won't be there for a little. Has she used the tray in your room at all yet?

TooAswellAlso Wed 17-Feb-16 10:09:18

No she refused to use the tray in my room. I've moved it back downstairs - she can hide from her brother mostly, and we are only out for a couple of hours so I will leave her where she's used to.

cozietoesie Wed 17-Feb-16 10:22:31

It's one of those 'Your call' things then. Good luck.

(I'd have used it as an excuse to avoid the dentist but it doesn't take much to make me do that! grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now