Finding a home for a used-to-be feral cat.

(5 Posts)
Scone1nSixtySeconds Mon 15-Feb-16 07:37:15

About 18 months ago we got our first cat, a very very elderly boy rescued from a neighbour who had moved out.

At almost exactly the same time, a pale ginger fuzzball started living in the garage. Very wild, no chance of a stroke, hissed while you put food down etc etc. Clearly feral.

In October our dear old boy had to be pts, and the house felt sad and cat less so we got another from a local rescue. He is lovely and friendly, the size of a small house and had been abandoned at the tip.

The garage cat was still pretty wild at this point. But I am bonkers an animal person so we kept on feeding him, and one day in December I managed to stroke him (I basically left my hand in front of the bowl so he had to push my hand out of the way to reach the food).

He has now become, in 2 short months the fussiest cat I have ever known. I cannot go outside without being accosted for a stroke. SconeDog (elderly unwell Labrador) cannot go for a wee without being caressed. He has put SconeSpaniel in his place, and follows us when we go for walks. He will come in the house but is very unsure at the moment. I suspect time will cure that pretty quickly.

Sounds wonderful and idyllic, but he frightens our rescue cat to pieces. He will run at full tilt the length of the garden to escape him. So I think it would be kindest to find Apricot Cat (so called because he is that shade) a proper home.

I am in rural West Midlands, what would you all suggest?

cozietoesie Mon 15-Feb-16 07:44:23

Have they both been neutered?

Scone1nSixtySeconds Mon 15-Feb-16 08:49:16

Our rescue cat has, yes.

I am fairly certain that Apricot cat is also neutered - can't see anything! - he isn't keen on being picked up though.

cozietoesie Mon 15-Feb-16 09:43:23

Even if he doesn't have obvious pom-poms dangling, I'd say that there's a strong chance he hasn't been so that's one to check out and rectify if necessary before you make any decisions. (If he hasn't been, it might change the dynamic considerably and even if you eventually decide to rehome him, would make his prospects much better.)

If you can't catch and box him, your local CPL - or maybe even the vet - could probably lend you a live trap to do the deed. He could probably do with a vet check anyway - if only for his shots etc.

fenneltea Fri 19-Feb-16 21:16:18

I'd second checking whether he's entire and getting him done if not.

Ours have always been frightened of outdoor cats, but once I've taken the cat in and introduced them gradually they've all got along fine. If it were me I'd try taking anythe outdoor cat in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now