Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything you can do about an unneutered Tom (that's owned by someone)?

(20 Posts)
Moln Sat 13-Feb-16 10:18:47

Other than ask the unreasonable owner; who quite evidently isn't going to.

He's terrorising all the other cats in the area. I've just had to chase him off mine, and get him in. MolnKitty is now lying low growling at the cat flap in between patrolling all windows.

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Feb-16 11:30:43

Yes. Get him neutered yourself. They will probably never notice. If they do, then deny all knowledge. Problem sorted. The problem is though that he would need to be kept in for a minimum of four days afterwards. Do you have a spare room?

Moln Sat 13-Feb-16 11:34:31

No I don't. Unfortunately.

I'll have to speak to my vets, I'm down there soon to get worming tablets anyway. I've finally managed to get close to my cat as he's relaxed a bit and there's a cut on his paw sad

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Feb-16 11:41:10

He could also be kept for a few days in your kitchen/bathroom/living room/ anywhere in a dog crate or hospital basket that you might be able to borrow from the vet.

cozietoesie Sat 13-Feb-16 11:41:29

This is one where I fear I disagree with TCN. People have a right to have unneutered cats - daft though it may be - and that's leaving aside the issue of whether the vet would actually carry out the procedure and/or any possible consequences for them or you.

I would approach the neighbour first off and explain the situation.

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Feb-16 11:45:50

I think that's like saying that people have the right to abuse their children. I think the animals' right to treatment for the good of their health, which neutering is, trumps the owners' rights to be dickheads.

As for the vet. You obviously don't say he has owners. You say he is a stray that you are prepared to take care of once neutered. And it is always a reasonable assumption that any unneutered male is in fact a stray. So no one could argue with that assumption.

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Feb-16 11:47:21

Any if you approach the owner first you will firstly alert them and secondly not be able to claim ignorance.

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Feb-16 11:47:57

I don't suppose you're in London?

Maryz Sat 13-Feb-16 11:50:24

Don't say you know who he belongs to if you want to get him neutered. Say he's a stray who has been hanging around, and is is possible to neuter him.

If he has a microchip (unlikely I suspect) they will contact the owner first.

Here, the local cat rescue will come out and collect un-neutered cats, neuter them and rehome them. They work on the principle that if a cat isn't microchipped or wearing a collar, and isn't neutered, they are feral/stray.

Maryz Sat 13-Feb-16 11:51:26

xpost with thecatneuterer (approprate name grin).

Moln Sat 13-Feb-16 11:51:40

He's very healthy looking; they'd need to overlook that in the vets if they want to believe his a stray Tom!!

I'll try speak the owner, I've only spoken to him once in 14 years though (in fact I've only actually seen him twice) he was not exactly Mr Approachable then.

cozietoesie Sat 13-Feb-16 11:55:34

That's just my view. I don't like the notion of carrying out some sort of pre-emptive strike on another person's animal. I appreciate, TCN, that you see daily the tragic consequences of not neutering but that approach has always made me uneasy.

PhilPhilConnors Sat 13-Feb-16 11:56:16

If he's not approachable I wouldn't bother, I would just neuter the cat. (Obviously not myself, I would take it to a vet or speak to a cat rescue)

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Feb-16 11:57:04

Don't speak to the owner if you don't think you are at all likely to get a positive response. The vet will believe it (and really not care anyway). You say you've been feeding him.

thecatneuterer Sat 13-Feb-16 11:58:42

You're not in London?

Moln Sat 13-Feb-16 14:28:22

No. I'm in Dublin; so not even in the UK!!

Will speak to my vet.

Maryz Sun 14-Feb-16 15:24:40

Moln, this lot might be able to give you some advice. They have a FB page, but I'm not on FB so can't access it.

They have been running a trap, neuter, return campaign and might be able to suggest what you should do.

If I was you, I wouldn't mention you know for sure who he belongs to!

Moln Sun 14-Feb-16 16:15:16

Thanks Maryz. Hadn't heard of this crowd.

Maryz Sun 14-Feb-16 16:30:18

I don't know if they can do anything for you - we had a problem with toms (about four of them, over the years) and Kildare Animal Rescue have come and caught them for us (for a donation), got them neutered, and "rehomed" them in farms.

I think they were feral, I don't actually know. What I do know is that they made our lives miserable, coming in the kids bedroom windows and spraying everywhere [bleurgh]. I couldn't put any washing on the line for six months at one stage - in fact it was showing the Animal Rescue woman the washing that made her stop asking questions and just catch that one grin

Moln Sun 14-Feb-16 17:32:20

I'll get in contact with them and see what can be done.

I got help from Cats Aid a few years ago because there was a stray (that I fed) who was limping. Got a trap off them and took him to the vets. Turns out it was a tumour and he had no teeth so he got put down. sad

Funnily enough my next door neighbour thought at the time that that cat belonged to this man. I didn't think so at the time (this Tom was about at the same time and they looked similar except ones black and white, and the other was grey and white).

Though the stray was neutered, and I wasn't aware the Tom wasn't, I'd never seen him spray and i hadn't a cat for him to attack

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now