Talk

Advanced search

Would getting a young Tom cat neutered stop it being a shit and breaking into people's houses and just general fuckwittery?

(19 Posts)
OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 11-Feb-16 09:02:27

As above really, just wondering if that would make a difference?

Costacoffeeplease Thu 11-Feb-16 09:04:32

Possibly - but he really should be neutered anyway

SoupDragon Thu 11-Feb-16 09:07:43

Why would you not have him neutered anyway? Just get him done.

Unless he isn't your cat.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 11-Feb-16 09:08:40

It will stop him fathering thousands of kittens, it will dramatically reduce his risk of contracting FIV, it will decrease the distance that it travels, but it is unlikely to stop him visiting other houses.

lazymoz Thu 11-Feb-16 09:08:53

I don't know but to be honest I think you should have him neutered anyway as he goes outside

Feeches Thu 11-Feb-16 09:10:12

How old is he? There's no guarantee it would completely stop his behaviour but it will very likely calm him down. Plus un-neutered male cats smell.

He really should be done anyway.

FishWithABicycle Thu 11-Feb-16 09:11:32

Probably yes, and non-fuckwitted pet owners will always neuter their cats because to do otherwise is, in the long-term, cruelty to animals because it leads to unwanted and feral kittens who have a miserable and short life.

drivinmecrazy Thu 11-Feb-16 09:14:28

Surely the fuckwittery of which you speak is letting an unneutered tom to roam the neghbourhood, unless you have very good reason.
We have a five month old tom who's having the snip tomorrow. He's desperate to go outside but I wouldn't dream of it til he's done. Though sadly for him he'll still have to wait a few weeks till his sister is neutered and able to go out

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 11-Feb-16 09:22:06

Yes, he isn't mine, but before I go to the neighbours raging about him and telling them to get him neutered I wondered if it actually would help.

I could cheerfully kick him in the bollocks myself at the moment.

They have a history of getting young pets and then passing them on when they start to be less cute and too much work but this cat is driving me insane.

I'd say he is about 10 months old.

Apart from generally going about pissing on stuff (my car/the front door/the garage etc) we can't have any windows open more than a crack or he breaks in. he beats up other cats, frightens the crap out of mine and we can't have our garage door open as he pees on the stuff inside.

Now he has broken our expensive microchip controlled cat flap. he has been in the house, eaten all the cats food and pissed in the house.

I'm tempted to catch him and take him for a long drive.

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 11-Feb-16 09:23:23

Oh and he likes to half kill birds in our garden and DH ends up having to finish them off which he'd rather not keep having to do.

gamerchick Thu 11-Feb-16 09:26:45

I think I would be tempted to get him neutered myself rather than take him for a long drive. They probably wouldn't notice him missing for a few days.

I'm not recommending that though.

thecatneuterer Thu 11-Feb-16 09:28:49

It should stop the pissing, probably. I'm not sure about the rest though. He should be done regardless of course.

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 11-Feb-16 09:29:28

It's a vicious wee shite too. I have no issue with it being able to look after itself away from home btw but I would feel a bit guilty for their kids not knowing what happened to it.

AdriftOnMemoryBliss Thu 11-Feb-16 09:29:31

ugh, i hate people like that! my boycat isn't even getting a sniff through an open door until after he's neutered!

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 11-Feb-16 09:30:53

Other neighbours have already complained about it and they haven't done anything so I do seriously think I would be wasting my breath.

Rpj16 Thu 11-Feb-16 09:35:04

Nope. Will stop him marking territory but it won't change him (coming from own experience)

Can you call RSPCA? Pretend you thought he was abandoned?

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 11-Feb-16 09:42:07

Hmm, there is no way I am allowing my house to get damp as I can't air the bathrooms properly and he definitely doesn't look abandoned as he is overall getting very well fed between all the houses.

Mouseinahole Thu 11-Feb-16 11:57:25

My new kitten will be neutered at 5 months but he won't be going outside before 6 months (if I can bear to let him out at all).

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 11-Feb-16 12:15:13

The other thing that is annoying me is that we have our own cat. She is neutered and is coming up for 8. She uses her flap (microchip controlled) we had alterations done to our house part of which was to accommodate having a cat flap. It means that we can go away for a couple of nights with no cat-sitter and longer hols with a neighbour coming in to feed. Now he has knackered the flap operating properly, I've had to lock it, obviously now that's inconvenient for my cat and will be difficult for our holidays - she doesn't like the cattery, she likes to be out and I'm not buying another posh cat flap for the wee shite to break. He's got to go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now