Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have experience with an old cat who is senile?

(9 Posts)
glamourousgranny42 Sun 31-Jan-16 19:52:33

I think my old boy (16 years old) has dementia. He wanders round looking lost, insists on having doors opened only to want to come back through a minute later and he follows me even more than he used to.
But the worst thing is at night. He stands on the landing and cries, well howls really. If we get up with him, hes ok for a bit, but starts again when we return to be. He used to sleep on our bed but doesn't do this so often now. We make sure he has food, water, his bed is fine, he doesn't want to go out at night. It just seems he feels lost and needs some company. Its like having a baby again and we are suffering from continuous disturbed sleep. AFAIK he isnt in any pain. Anyone have advice?

Dreamonastar Sun 31-Jan-16 23:13:26

Funnily enough I was googling yesterday and think my cat may have this, he is also 16. He does exactly what you describe with doors and yowling. He also sits in the bath for hours hmm very strange.

Can he sleep with you?

Rollypoly100 Mon 01-Feb-16 09:13:50

My boy is just 16 and does this. We rescued him at 13. He's happy as long as he's close to me. He's very deaf and I think his eyesight is getting worse. He always sleeps with me. I carry him up after locking up at night. He eats well and is happy and I think he likes the closeness.

cozietoesie Mon 01-Feb-16 10:23:01

Seniorboy has very little sight left, I reckon - it's difficult to tell properly - but is certainly very close these days. Even for a Siamese. Luckily, I work from home so can accommodate that. I just pamper and love him. smile Nothing else to be done really.

glamourousgranny42 Mon 01-Feb-16 17:43:53

We have tried taking him up to bed with us. Sometimes he's ok but often he's still restless. I think I might take him to the vet for a check up. He's my boy and I love him. He was a rescue aged 7 and last year survived an attack by 2 Staffie dogs. I just want to spoil him while I can

Smurfing Mon 01-Feb-16 17:47:43

My old cat was like this. I found an electric heated mat in his bed helped keep him in it for longer periods, both in the day and during the night. But he did eventually go back to endless pacing unfortunately.

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 01-Feb-16 17:49:32

My old puss was like this for the last few years of her life. That heart wrenching yowling in the middle of the night. But the vet insisted she wasn't in pain. I think deafness doesn't help.

AwkwardSquad Mon 01-Feb-16 19:58:24

Our old cat did this too. Turned out to be a thyroid problem - hyperthyroidism. She had some of the thyroid removed and was on medication to help manage it.

We think she had some age related cognitive impairment as well. And a damaged heart, and kidney disease. Poor old mog. She made it to very nearly 21, with a good quality of life.

chemenger Tue 02-Feb-16 11:24:12

Definitely take him to the vet for a check, there are physical conditions that can cause howling and all the other symptoms of senility, thyroid is definitely a possibility, and high blood pressure I think. My old cat is currently part of a trial for medication for age related cognitive dysfunction (ie senility). Apparently there are things licensed for dogs but nothing for cats. She is physically fine but some nights she seems to howl pointlessly literally all night and nothing we can do stops it. Our previous old cat did howl but that seemed to be because she was lost; if we called to her she would stop and come and find us. She always slept on our bed so night time was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now