Talk

Advanced search

Poor Little Monsieur (worming)

(11 Posts)
RubbishMantra Sun 31-Jan-16 00:05:32

MCat took his like a staunch gent. Little Monsieur's never had any problems in the past. Today he started singing the son of his people (a phrase I nicked off here) and MC joined in. No teeth or claws, apart from a determined refusal to open his jaws, and the wailing. He managed to lick his nose, after gentle throat stroking and still managed to spit it out. Several times.

Maybe I should go back to Milbemax, he'd snaffle them like they were Dreamies.

[big guilt emoticon]

cozietoesie Sun 31-Jan-16 00:14:23

Seniorboy won't take any sort of pill. That's a straight won't. Even his vet acknowledges that fact now.

We have spot ons or liquids at cozietowers - anything else would be doomed from the start - so maybe you should recognise the inevitable also?

Wolfiefan Sun 31-Jan-16 00:16:20

Isn't seniorboy a Siamese?
They are a different animal altogether!!!

cozietoesie Sun 31-Jan-16 00:28:35

Yes, he's a Siamese - but I think that other cats are pill-resistant also? Seniorboy will never use claws or teeth but just squirms to the point that last time the vet tried to do something to him (I think it was an attempt to take bloods) he ended up up the back of someone's tunic - either the vet or She Who Must Be Obeyed the Chief Vet Nurse. I do recall the vet saying - admiringly but through somewhat gritted teeth - 'Well he's still got a good squirm in him'. grin

We pick our battles here.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 01-Feb-16 14:07:01

There is no way I would try and get Harry to take a pill, I value my arms, chest, face, head too much! He has to have a spot on otherwise he wouldn't be flea'd or wormed.

cozietoesie Mon 01-Feb-16 14:53:52

I think the vet is rather of the view that any attempt to force a pill on him might well lead to a heart attack through stress. He's really got the whip hand on us now! grin

chemenger Mon 01-Feb-16 14:56:16

Spot on wormer is the way to go.

chemenger Mon 01-Feb-16 14:58:45

Little boy can be pilled at the vets (because he is paralysed and trembling in fear), but at home its impossible (and ill-advised due to his heart condition).

RubbishMantra Thu 04-Feb-16 12:26:53

Thanks, I'll try the spot on treatment.

The Little Monsieur is a Si-Rex, so has those stubborn Himalayan genes.

frostyfingers Fri 05-Feb-16 14:10:40

Our ginger ninja went to the vet for his jabs (which involves him being put in the special cat handling bag) and the vet suggested that she worm him whilst he was there. I said she could certainly try and she brandished her special tongy things which hold the tablet and let it go when it's down the throat. I was sceptical, but said go ahead. Cat allowed her to open his mouth and pop the pill down, she waited for him to swallow and then said "there, that was easy". Ha, when she turned back he looked her in the eye, coughed and spat the pill out on the table......

We reverted to our usual system of wrapping him in a towel, holding him in the utility sink and posting the pill down between his snapping teeth all while he's growling like a doberman. Cat 1, Vet 0!

cozietoesie Fri 05-Feb-16 14:28:40

Go for the spot on in future would be my recommendation. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now