Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat taking her cone off after operation

(21 Posts)
Elliemayclampett Fri 29-Jan-16 21:32:45

My lovely baby girl has been neutered today and was fitted with a cone/ collar to stop her from getting at the stitches. She has had the cone off three times already! Is there anything I can do to keep it on?

ShortcutButton Fri 29-Jan-16 21:34:30

Has she got a collar on through the loops of the cone to hold it in place? Can you tighten it?

Bandage her feet, so she can't get a grip on the cone with her claws

Costacoffeeplease Fri 29-Jan-16 21:37:32

The youngest of our cats was spayed in September, we got her a little suit, you can get them on Amazon

Wolfiefan Fri 29-Jan-16 21:39:50

Costa I wish I'd seen that. Instead one of mine got the cone off. Licked glue off and ended up being stapled. I then sat up until midnight (when she fell asleep) calming her and replacing cone when she got it off!

ShortcutButton Fri 29-Jan-16 21:41:08

You can fashion one of those out of a baby vest (with poppers on the bum)

Costacoffeeplease Fri 29-Jan-16 21:42:28

They're little buggers aren't they? I've also made little boob tubes out of socks before - they do tend to roll down though, so the suits are perfect! This one actually came from our vet!

cozietoesie Fri 29-Jan-16 21:44:47

Possibly as well to get one on spec in advance if you have a girl to be spayed. Are they expensive?

Costacoffeeplease Fri 29-Jan-16 21:46:26

I don't think they're too expensive, as I say, this one came from our vet so we just had it on loan

Elliemayclampett Fri 29-Jan-16 22:12:54

The cone is tied with a bandage through loops. Don't want to tie it too tight though :-( she really doesn't like it! We have tried again. Will see how long it takes her to get it off this time.

I love that little suit. What a great idea.

Elliemayclampett Fri 29-Jan-16 22:14:52

Will try a collar tomorrow, rather than the bandage. Need to buy one. Good idea, thank you

Elliemayclampett Fri 29-Jan-16 22:17:36

Lol! And we have just watched her get it off again! little madam!

cozietoesie Fri 29-Jan-16 22:25:07

Any neighbours that you might acquire a babygro from at this time of night to cut down? (If you don't have an old one yourself in a drawer.) You could offer to replace with new.

ShortcutButton Fri 29-Jan-16 22:32:04

You can tie the bandage quite tight..2 fingers give

Most of them give up, if you persevere. Heartbreaking though it is

Elliemayclampett Fri 29-Jan-16 22:46:51

My other baby (Ds) is 12 now, so no babygros left sadly. Have put it on again and told her it's bedtime. Fingers crossed for a good nights sleep.

Although nobody seems to have told my fur baby that she is supposed to be groggy after her ordeal. ...

cozietoesie Fri 29-Jan-16 22:49:29

None of my boys have ever been groggy as such - mostly foolhardy and stupid - but they did at least sleep like logs once they went down.

Fingers crossed for you.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 30-Jan-16 07:29:16

How is she this morning? Occasionally the anaesthetic can make them hyper immediately aft the op, hopefully she'll be a bit calmer and more co-operative today

Elliemayclampett Sat 30-Jan-16 08:02:44

Ive had lots of lovely snuggles this morning and now she's gone back to bed. I'm hoping she will be more relaxed today.

TheRattleBag Sat 30-Jan-16 08:19:46

Mine got the cone off too (post -spaying) and I wasn't brave enough to insist that it went back on! Luckily she just gave her stitches a lick to clean them up, then pretty much ignored it. But I ended up taking a day's holiday the next day to keep an eye on her!

sashh Sat 30-Jan-16 09:46:04

If she is leaving the stitches alone you don't need it.

Elliemayclampett Sun 31-Jan-16 21:03:08

The vet today said she has been at the stitches and she's got all the glue off. So we are trying a proper cat collar with the cone. It's staying on, but she is not happy and refusing to even look at us grin

ShortcutButton Sun 31-Jan-16 21:33:24

Don't fall for it Ellie. Stay strong!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now