Talk

Advanced search

Can anybody recommend some cat food?

(13 Posts)
hiddenhome2 Fri 29-Jan-16 01:15:13

I usually give the kitties Gourmet Perle sachets, but they've suddenly gone off them. I don't know what's going on, but they must have changed them in some way.

The cats are all hmm when I offer it now.

Can anybody recommend something decent quality at a similar price?

I also feed dry Iams and they're okay with that, apart from old cat who has virtually no teeth.

Any suggestions kitty people?

LostPlatypus Fri 29-Jan-16 01:35:25

I feed mine James Wellbeloved because she's a picky so and so! I do know Smilla (from Zooplus/similar) are meant to be good, if you don't mind tins. They do pouches too but they're a bit more expensive so might be out of your budget range. Bozita are also decent quality, but picky feline wasn't so keen on them.

hiddenhome2 Fri 29-Jan-16 02:05:53

Does JW do wet foods?

LostPlatypus Fri 29-Jan-16 02:49:50

Yeah JW do wet food. It IS expensive though. This is where I get mine from: Zooplus link

hiddenhome2 Fri 29-Jan-16 04:51:30

I'm paying over £4 a box for the perle atm. There's 12 sachets in those.

Old cat likes the encore tins. I might have to get some in for just her.

hiddenhome2 Fri 29-Jan-16 18:50:18

I have been out and bought a selection of high protein, low additive foods. I'm thinking quality over quantity as my lot often leave food and it just goes off in the bowls.

I've also read that dry food is bad for their teeth as it leaves a carby residue on them which can lead to decay.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:22:12

Aldi pate trays are popular with our cat, one of next doors cats and the B&W cat over the road.

SunsetDream Fri 29-Jan-16 19:54:37

I've been trying lots of food at the moment ( not so sure about long term costs).

So far, I'm liking

Wainwrights pate (75 % meat)
Evolution Naturally pate (70 % meat)

Butchers Classic (48 % meat) - not as much meat, but contains Taurine and has no grains.

I was going to post about my findings blush in case anyone else was interested.

I couldn't find Taurine on the ingredients of the James Wellbeloved that I bought.

hiddenhome2 Fri 29-Jan-16 23:12:35

I thought all cat food had to have added taurine in because it's essential for them?

Ooo, it's stressful this feeding business.

SunsetDream Fri 29-Jan-16 23:20:09

That's what I thought - and maybe it's just the labelling. The first three have it clearly labelled (and others as well, but I didn't like them as much - price vs meant content)

The James Wellbeloved may well have it, but I couldn't find it mentioned in the ingredients/ vitamin and mineral bit)

SunsetDream Fri 29-Jan-16 23:23:53

am I missing it?

It's mentioned very clearly on their dry cat food.

SunsetDream Fri 29-Jan-16 23:25:01

Plus it's only 35% meat.

Ps I don't mean to knock this one - I just had high hopes for it, yet I've been surprised with which ones actually appear to be best.

hiddenhome2 Fri 29-Jan-16 23:39:34

No, can't see it listed. Would have to email them to ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now