Talk

Advanced search

I'm looking after a cat for a few weeks and I have a question.

(17 Posts)
DoctorTwo Sun 24-Jan-16 20:55:10

I have had cats, but not for years. This one assumes he's going to be fed every time I go upstairs where his food bowl is. He has cat biscuits and water available 24/7 and I feed him a sachet of wet food at about 7am and 5pm. A couple of times now his wet food has not met his approval and his miaows sound really angry. <I know how silly that sounds>
my question: is this normal? Is it usual to have a cat follow you around crying that his food is unacceptable and you must accede to his demands?

If I can figure out how to transfer photos from phone to pooter then I'll put one up.

Oreocrumbs Sun 24-Jan-16 21:01:19

My cat has been doing that for the last 9 years, he seems to thrive on it grin. He is master of the angry meow. You should hear the bollocking I get when I'm late home.

In short I feed to the same programme as you, and I presume the wet food is what his owner told you to get?

If so carry on. If not maybe try a different sort (gravy/jelly is the bone of contention in our house). But you aren't doing anything wrong that I can see.... The angry meow is just to remind you who is boss....

Frusso Sun 24-Jan-16 21:02:33

Has he been wormed recently?

On a cat note I think you are being put through your paces. FrusPuss was adamant that we had to meet her expectations, It was like being auditioned; the food had to be in the right place, and the right flavour, and water has to be straight from the tap, and it all has to be done when she demands it. And has quite a forceful meow when we get it wrong.

NarcyCow Sun 24-Jan-16 21:04:43

Perfectly normal. He's chancing his arm to see if he can manipulate you.

maybebabybee Sun 24-Jan-16 21:12:33

Haha mine does that all the time....I put down food for her and then she follows me round angrily yowling like she's demanding something better. She always shuts up and eats it eventually.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sun 24-Jan-16 21:12:42

Yep, sounds normal. If he were actually hungry he would eat the food. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with it, and as pp have said, he is testing you!

Mine do the same, they will now only accept the meat in gravy stuff. Never ever jelly, or worse, mousse. You should have heard the irate meows I got when I tried to give them mousse...

cozietoesie Sun 24-Jan-16 21:26:25

I reckon NarcyCow is right. He's a chancer. grin

Do what his owner asked you to do and harden your heart.

DoctorTwo Sun 24-Jan-16 21:43:08

First pic is when we first met. 2nd pic is 3 days later, he's across my lap.

LiquorsOnDeck Sun 24-Jan-16 21:46:36

He is gorgeous

Oreocrumbs Sun 24-Jan-16 22:04:24

Aww he's a cutie... Doesn't look in imminent danger of starvation so toughen up..... Or just accept your new position of cat slave and get on with whatever will keep the master happy wink.

DoctorTwo Mon 25-Jan-16 13:01:52

I have introduced him to Dreamies. Whoever it was that said they're like crack for cats is not exaggerating! grin

DoctorTwo Thu 28-Jan-16 23:35:52

His staff is now back home and has collected him. I miss the furry little sod. sad I'll wake up (hopefully! grin ) in the morning and he won't be sleeping by my feet. <sigh>

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jan-16 23:37:01

Time for puss of your own?!
grin

Destinysdaughter Thu 28-Jan-16 23:40:18

Sounds like you need a cat of your own! smile

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jan-16 23:46:03

Ha. Destinys. Just what I thought. Fostered puss was softening you up in readiness to become a full time slave!
grin

cozietoesie Thu 28-Jan-16 23:48:16

Looked up any rescue websites yet? grin

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jan-16 23:48:58

We can recommend a few!! Perhaps fostering or an older cat. Or a pair?!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now