Talk

Advanced search

Cat Flu and mouth ulcers

(12 Posts)
biggerboat Sat 23-Jan-16 10:19:57

Morning.

Is there anything you can give a cat to help speed up the recovery of mouth ulcers?
Puss has Cat Flu, been given anti-inflammatory injections, and I'm feeding him cat milk and liquidized food via syringe.

Is there anything else I can do to help speed up the healing process?

Many thanks

MissTeriName Sat 23-Jan-16 10:30:54

Am in the same boat. Tiny kitten though, poor baby. Vet gave me antibiotics and steroids. The ulcers are still there, but at least he is eating and drinking now. Lots! I think the steroids helped that. Now his eyes are bad but am cleaning for now. Will see vet next week.

Someone has recommended getting L-lysine as a supplement but I haven't been able to find any yet.

cozietoesie Sat 23-Jan-16 10:36:33

You can buy L-Lysine on Amazon but I believe that better results, long term, have been obtained through use of cat probiotics - available from the same source. They seem expensive at first but I suspect that when viewed against vet costs, they're not so bad.

biggerboat Sat 23-Jan-16 10:39:02

Thanks Teri, I'll see if I can source L-lysine. I'll post if/where I can find it.

biggerboat Sat 23-Jan-16 10:42:51

Thanks Cozie. Probiotics are worth investigating.

cozietoesie Sat 23-Jan-16 10:45:16

Called Fortiflora, I believe. Have a google on Mike Lappin Colorado State. (Add in probiotics and feline to the search if needed.)

MissTeriName Sat 23-Jan-16 12:19:34

Are probiotics liquid or dry? Am overseas and, although I can use Amazon, I can't receive anything liquid/paste etc. Or anything in glass. Such a pita!

cozietoesie Sat 23-Jan-16 12:45:03

I haven't actually used them for my old boy. (I definitely would if he was even a couple of years younger but at 21 (and with a dodgy ticker) there doesn't seem much point.) The Amazon description says 'sprinkle a sachet' though so it sounds OK from your perspective.

Why not ask a question on Amazon though? Definitely read the reviews I think.

MissTeriName Sat 23-Jan-16 23:29:06

Will do. Was just being lazy, apologies!
Little ones eyes are very bad today but he seems ok otherwise. Eating well, playing and cuddling.
Hope this all ends soon, poor little scrap.

cozietoesie Sat 23-Jan-16 23:42:09

Gosh - no need to apologise. I'm only sorry I can't give you more useful advice.

It's a lifelong thing, I fear, but a healthy immune system will help just enormously. (And watch his teeth.) Seniorboy didn't start experiencing problems until he was about 17.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 24-Jan-16 08:12:33

MissTerri Fortiflora is a powder that comes in sachets, I have taught Cozie well. When my flu patients are having a flare I encourage owners to take them into steamy bathrooms to increase the moisture in their airways as this helps increase healing too.

MissTeriName Sun 24-Jan-16 22:56:18

Thank you! I'll go on a mission tomorrow and see what I can find locally. Then attempt Amazon and see what happens. Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now