Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I work out exactly how much to feed her?!

(2 Posts)
SunsetDream Fri 22-Jan-16 21:59:21

Sorry if this is such a basic question.

Dcat is not quite a year old (exact date is unknown).

I've been feeding Butcher's classic and fish supplemented with better quality high protein complete foods (can't remember the name now!)

When we got her at the beginning of the year, she was really thin (could see ribs when looking down from above, hip bones sticking out and small waist - don't get me wrong, she could have been much thinner, but I'm trying to give the picture).

Now she looks really healthy - glossy, muscles round her hind legs and fuller waist. She seems almost ideal, but put much more on and she would be putting on fat.

I'm sure she's grown taller as well, but it's hard to say.

The thing is, to have gone from skinny to healthy in such a short period of time makes me wonder if I've been feeding her too much and if we continue, she'll start to put on too much.

I've been trying to work out how much to feed going on her weight and at about 3.3 kg, she's not very big.

Feeding her previously, she would eat roughly 3/4 of what was in her bowl and leave the rest, sometimes going back to it and sometimes I would throw it away when giving her her next meal.

Today, when feeding her less (according to the info on the tray), she's been hanging around for food. When I've given her some, she's fallen on it and gobbled it all up leaving nothing. She doesn't seem satisfied.

Presumably, she needs somewhere inbetween. I don't want her to be hungry again, but I don't want her getting fat!

I would appreciate help (a lot of the cats around here are visibly fat and I don't want to be in the position of having to diet her!

Thanks

SunsetDream Fri 22-Jan-16 22:05:07

The trays are the Evolution Naturally ones from Pets at Home. I've noticed it says for adult cats, but at one thought she would fit into this category. I don't know whether she needs more/ less food or when they grow more.

These say 1.5-2 trays per day for a 2-4 kg cat...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now