Talk

Advanced search

Cats in distress after new baby - help!

(2 Posts)
artisanroast Fri 22-Jan-16 00:35:45

Hi

I want to start by saying I love my cats! They are my fluffy babies.

I now have an 18 week old daughter but since the preparation for her arrival and since her birth my poor cats have both become increasingly distressed.

My first cat started over-grooming when we had a second bathroom put in (I was 7 months pregnant at the time) and it is now so bad she is red raw. We have been at the vet so we have a cream and she is walking about looking miserable wearing her cone.

My second cat has taken to living at the very fancy home shop at the bottom of the street and is actively attracting customers. The shop owner is very happy and I am pleased she is safe and has regular attention from all the passers by, however I would really prefer her in my living room!

They were closed out of the nursery until the baby was bigger than them. We have 3 feliway in our small 2 bedroom flat. Also, worth noting is my husband has found he has a cat allergy although this is manageable with medication. They were closed out of his room but are now allowed in again. I am in with the baby in her nursery.

We also regularly (monthly) are away for 4-5 days in Northern Ireland as first my fil had cancer, now he has unfortunately passed and we need to visit mil. He says mil is cheered up by dd. She also has a flaming cat allergy (and actively dislikes cats) so very rarely visits and can't stay with us.

I really am at my wits end. I have an incredibly kind neighbour who always cares for the cats if I am away. She takes incredibly good care of them, and will sit with them daily and pet them.

Any advice would be great. I am refusing to get rid of my cats as I truly believe that a cat is for life. I have had both my cats since they were kittens. They are both 5 years old.

They don;t usually get on that well with each other but my second cat seems to feel sorry for cone head and the other night they slept in the same bed for the first time in years, with me, on the single bed, in my daughter's nursery - it was a bit of a squeeze and I 'slept' in the same position all night in case I disturbed them. Luckily DD sleeps all night (or only wakes once) and is no problem.

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

xx

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Fri 22-Jan-16 13:02:37

vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=400803283550&category=77118&pm=1&ds=0&t=1453467588374

Would something like this help so the cats can roam the home more.

I would get rid of the feliway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now