Getting kitten to go to the loo outside

(15 Posts)
Katnisnevergreen Tue 19-Jan-16 21:43:59

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on how to get my 7 month old boy kitty to go outside in the garden to poo/pee. He's happy using a litter tray inside, bug I really would like to get rid of it, the older boy 6 goes out to go to the loo, but the kitten can't seem to get the hang of it. He was a cat flap and us happy to go outside, but insists on coming back in for loo breaks...I've tried putting the litter tray outside, and he'll use it if I go out with him and stand next to him like some flipping toilet attendant confused but won't go if we're not there. He comes in and pees on the floor as if he can't wait, but doesn't seem to be distressed or anything, more lazy maybe? I end up bringing the tray back inside, then he's happy again with a smug look on his furry face angry. Any suggestions most welcome

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 19-Jan-16 21:55:42

Keep the tray. I wouldn't want to go outside in this weather either.

Wolfiefan Tue 19-Jan-16 21:59:34

Sprinkle some litter outside in a private spot where you are happy for him to go. Most cats hate an audience!

Katnisnevergreen Wed 20-Jan-16 06:58:33

I've put litter on the flower beds to try to encourage him and he's having none of it. If I leave him the tray for now, will it be too later when it's warmer? I really don't want a litter tray for ever

kinkytoes Wed 20-Jan-16 07:06:44

Why not? Won't you be keeping your cats indoors at night as responsible owners should? Providing a litter tray is part and parcel of having a cat, just like providing fresh water and food.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 20-Jan-16 07:12:17

Agree, part of having cats is having trays, keeping them in at night is safer for them and it helps maintain good relationships with your neighbours.

Waitingfordolly Wed 20-Jan-16 08:36:30

I have this problem too. Also tried those things. I think he might sometimes go outside. I'm thinking to try again a bit harder when the weather is better.

GoneAndDone Wed 20-Jan-16 09:36:25

Having your cat use a litter tray is extremely useful for spotting health issues too - otherwise you wouldn't notice if your cat had blood in his urine or was constipated or had diarrhea.

VeryPunny Wed 20-Jan-16 09:37:18

Erm, I don't want your cat shitting outside in my garden....

BertieBotts Wed 20-Jan-16 09:39:04

I don't think it will be too late, just wait and try later. We only ever had trays for kittens and holidays, not all the time. You can't always keep them in at night, we always had cat flaps.

maybebabybee Wed 20-Jan-16 09:42:27

Oh christ, this is going to end well. Don your hard hat OP.

A litter tray is part and parcel of having a cat tbh. I have indoor cats so I have no choice but even when we had cats who went outdoors we still had the litter tray, (a) because it's not nice to have them poo in others' gardens (you can't always stop this although you can minimise the risks of them doing it and (b) because how would you like to go to the toilet outside in all weathers?!

If you don't want to deal with animal poo and wee, don't get a pet.

Katnisnevergreen Wed 20-Jan-16 10:57:33

Oh for goodness sake. Never mind. I asked for helpful suggestions, not a bloody lecture on what a bad pet owner I am. For the 20 odd years I have had cats, they only have had litter trays when kittens or ill. Otherwise they go outside in the garden. As cats do. You have no idea of where I live, so comments hmmabout neighbours are pointless. I don't think the farmers will complain about their fields some how hmm I'm glad that at least one person here is normal about litter trays. I can't believe people have tried to judge my pet owning skills on here. 2 cats and 3 horses can probably prove you wrong. I'll ask elsewhere in future. Thanks a lot all of you

Jenda Wed 20-Jan-16 11:02:58

I think we just took ours away and he got on with it. I would consider trying again when it's a bit warmer incase he is protesting against the weather! I also don't use trays, but my cat is too wimpy to crap in anyone else's garden so clear conscience grin

sugarplumfairy28 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:09:51

Kat I have 10 cats, and have had cats all my life. I only have a tray because we have one cat that simply cannot go outside. You're not wrong for wanting rid of the tray! One of my husbands family cats was an indoor cat for 12 years before they moved house, and now he loves being out and never uses the tray indoors anymore, so if the weather isn't nice, there shouldn't be a problem waiting until it warms up a little.

My outdoor cats, will usually go to the toilet outside last thing before they come in, and will go straight out in the morning and do their business, and this isn't just one cat, I mean this is 7 cats, so not a rare fluke, so for them there was no need for a tray.

In the long run I think you do stand a good chance of getting rid of it, although you will need to keep an eye on him for any accidents, in case he doesn't want to wait all night, or simply can't wait.

As for keeping them in of a night, in my opinion that's preferable, but not all cats want to come in of a night, many of mine have stayed out all night even if I didn't like it. If you have a cat, and it goes out, you also have no control whatsoever as to where they choose to go to the toilet, and to be honest I don't like the idea of keeping a cat indoors for anything other than health reasons. hth

Katnisnevergreen Wed 20-Jan-16 19:36:48

Thank you to those posters who have offered suggestions, normally I just take the tray away and they figure it out no problems. I'll bide my time and see what happens when it warms up. Fingers crossed he gets the hang of it soon...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now