Cat with retained testicle

(6 Posts)
WinterChill Tue 19-Jan-16 12:12:55

I'm not new to cats but I haven't come across this before so could do with a little advice. I found out one of my cats has a retained testicle when I took him to be neutered. Because of this, the vet said at the time she wasn't able to do the operation. She managed to chip him because he was already sedated but didn't want to do the op in the hope that it would work it's way. She said that if it's not there by the time he's 9 months then he'll have to go back for a bigger op to retrieve it. He's 8 months now and there's no sign. What's the likelihood that it may appear before he hits 9 months?

I've been told he has to have the op to get it because otherwise it can cause cancer. But that it will cost quite a bit more than a normal neuter because it's a bigger op. Plus insurance won't cover it because apparently it would be classed as a pre existing condition.

He really needs to be done because he is quite aggressive and whilst I know it's not always because he hasn't been done. I'm hoping that having him done will 'hopefully' calm him a little.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 19-Jan-16 12:58:30

It's a relatively common problem and the testicle is retained in the abdomen. It is a considerably bigger operation, but should be well within the scope of the average vet. If the testicle is not there at 6 months it is probably not going to appear as the inguinal ring ( the hole through which the testicle left the abdomen) has closed.

WinterChill Tue 19-Jan-16 13:07:58

Thanks Lone. I think I'll ring to see if they can fit him in before 9 months then. Could it be causing him pain? I only wonder because he meaws when you touch near his abdomen.

cozietoesie Tue 19-Jan-16 13:10:43

Do you have to do these ops often, Lone?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 19-Jan-16 16:33:06

There shouldn't be any pain associated with an uncomplicated retained testicle.
Cozie for a number of reasons these cases can fluctuate in number it is an inherited condition so if there is a Tom about carrying the gene you will see more cases. They are more common in dogs and whilst I hesitate to liken cats to dogs the surgical technique is the same. I carry out about two of these procedures a month.

WinterChill Tue 19-Jan-16 17:45:47

Lone, is it any similar to a female being spayed? I have a female too and obviously her op was different from my other boy having his bits done because it entailed more. What's the time frame with keeping him in and such and wound care?

Sorry for all the Qs. I just want to make sure I'm all prepared for when he goes and what to really expect afterwards.

I think that's why the insurance doesn't cover it either - because it's an inherited condition. He was the only boy of the litter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now