A quick question about cat's eyes

(5 Posts)
treaclesoda Mon 18-Jan-16 10:09:33

I'm quite new to having a cat, so am very much learning.

My cat has got the brown-y black discharge from her eyes that seems very common (that is, I'm assuming it is common, since there are eye wipes on the market for cleaning them etc).

It's not constant, just sometimes I notice a bit of a 'stain' under her eyes, although more from one eye or the other.

She isn't itchy, her eye isn't swollen or red or sticky or anything, so am I right in thinking it is 'just one of those things'? Obviously I will take her to the vet if I need to, but I don't want to get there and have the vet say 'yes, those are tears...' confused

cozietoesie Mon 18-Jan-16 10:36:32

Cats seem to get some 'sleep' in their eyes just like humans often do - mostly they groom it away - but I've noticed with my own boys that really deep staining/heavy 'sleep' can sometimes be a precursor to a little bout of flu-type symptoms.

Nothing really to worry about/take action on I think - but are her shots all up to date?

Seawig Mon 18-Jan-16 10:46:59

My daily head massage of Huntercat starts with gently rubbing the sleep out of his eyes before we work on the nose scratch, ear rub, head scratch, neck scratch etc.

He purrs like a machine and looks adoringly at me so I'm sure it's part of a healthy cat and presumably the same as our eyes clearing out any dust etc. He seems to have more than Feistycat which is possibly because he is twice her size/doesn't groom as much/goes out hunting so gets more exposure to dirt etc?

Their eyes are amazing aren't they!?

treaclesoda Mon 18-Jan-16 10:51:01

Yes, all shots up to date and no sign of illness smile And yes, she does seem to groom it away with her paw most of the time.

I'll keep an eye on her but I feel reassured that it's nothing to worry about. Thanks.

ZebraOwl Mon 18-Jan-16 23:44:50

The first time I saw it on blonde!cat when he was tinyblondekitten I was completely freaked out. Then reassured by Google. Some cats just have "sleep" that's this colour; on some shades of fur it will show up more; some cats will produce more of it than others; & some cats will be more fastidious than others about its removal.

Any time I see blonde!cat has eyegunk, I clean it off. I do it multiple times a day, he is apparently VERY sleepy & not very troubled by looking as if he's been playing The Earl of Gloucester in an all-feline version of "King Lear"...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now