Talk

Advanced search

How many cats does everyone have?

(68 Posts)
sugarplumfairy28 Sun 17-Jan-16 22:03:40

I'm hoping I'm not the only 'cat lady' out there. We have just gone down to 10, unfortunately lost one of our girls before Christmas.

Aphie Sun 17-Jan-16 22:07:04

I had 3, but the youngest did not get on with the older 2 from the moment he came through the door. It broke my heart to rehome him but now he's an only cat getting spoiled rotten and he's just become an amazing cat. I'd love more than my pair but I've been told I can't until we live in a bigger house.
Not sure if I'd cope with 10 but I'd love that many.
Are all of yours outdoor cats? How do they get along?

Costacoffeeplease Sun 17-Jan-16 22:09:11

15 at the moment

sugarplumfairy28 Sun 17-Jan-16 22:21:18

Mine are mostly all related. We had 3 to begin with, two girls (Momo and Lady) and a boy (George) 2 weeks after DD was born in 2011 Momo had 6 kittens, 3 weeks later Lady had 4.

DH fell in love and we ended up keeping 2 boys (Suru and Lennon) and 1 girl (Shinobi). Shinobi had 5 kittens but 3 died with 48 hours and we couldn't bare two separate the two kittens, so we kept them (Pixie and Bumble), and then Bumble had kittens, and we kept two girls, Narla and Cici.

Unfortunately we have since lost Lady and Narla. We did try and introduce a kitten when Pixie and Bumble were little (was actually their cousin) but the clowder wouldn't accept her so my friend took her back.

Then in September this year we got 2 brothers and introduced them very slowly and the clowder have just accepted them in, was nice to see all the hard work pay off. I have 4 outdoor cats, Momo is allowed out but she just doesn't want to. We're working on getting Pixie outside but she's not keen. Cici actually has allergies and she doesn't get on very well with grass, not good when we're surrounded by fields. The boys will be outside cats though. Bumble, actually suffered brain damage at birth and has no sense of balance and she gets scared by her own tail, so outside just won't be safe for her, how she had 4 perfectly normal kittens is beyond me.

sugarplumfairy28 Sun 17-Jan-16 22:22:15

Wow Costa, how do you cope? What are the age gaps?

Moln Sun 17-Jan-16 22:24:25

One. Couldn't get anymore due to my cat hating cats. 😸

Costacoffeeplease Sun 17-Jan-16 22:28:49

I don't live in the U.K., most of the year the weather is pretty good, so some are out almost all the time but some have never been out and show no sign of wanting to go out

Our oldest is about 14, youngest two are about 10 months - they're all rescued street cats that either we, or someone we know, has found - plus two who just decided to move in. We also have 2 dogs (was 4, but lost 2 in 2014 to old age and a brain tumour)

BelindaBagwash Sun 17-Jan-16 22:29:04

Just the one lovely big ginger boy.

Wish we had more, but like to go away for weekends.

Our horrible neighbours hate him with a passion. sad

StrumpersPlunkett Sun 17-Jan-16 22:31:00

We have 3. Older lady and 2 boys who are 6 months old. It is great. Love them!!

Pommes Sun 17-Jan-16 22:35:09

Blimey, how do your carpets cope? We have one and he scratches the sofa, carpets, laundry basket and everything apart from his scratch post!

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 17-Jan-16 22:39:03

Two. We might move to a bigger house, and if so I'd like to get another one, but dh thinks it might upset the equilibrium! (Though this does not appear to put him off wanting another dog, and, indeed, another child!) hmm

sugarplumfairy28 Sun 17-Jan-16 22:40:57

In previous houses the cats have gone for the carpets, we got a massive cat tree, cat nip sprayed it and lots of flicking of paws when they try to go for the sofas and we seem to be OK now.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 17-Jan-16 22:47:14

Two adults, two children, two cats. It works well.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sun 17-Jan-16 22:50:30

I have five cats.

Also have a house rabbit with slight identity issues who also seems to believe she's a cat. Even uses their litter tray...

So, six cats. Sort of.

DramaAlpaca Sun 17-Jan-16 22:51:54

Two, and wouldn't have more.

ifcatscouldtalk Sun 17-Jan-16 23:03:58

Just the one, mainly putting vets bills and our income into consideration. Weve only had this boy a few weeks and its a joy to have a cat in the house again. smile

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Sun 17-Jan-16 23:07:04

Two. 15?? But how??

IHeartKingThistle Sun 17-Jan-16 23:13:08

Wow, 15???

I have one ancient black female who was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid this week. I genuinely thought she was demented so seeing her chilled out after 3 days on meds is like a minor miracle.

I've always had rescue cats but at some point I'd love a big Maine Coon. Is that madness?

Costacoffeeplease Sun 17-Jan-16 23:19:57

They've just appeared over the years, we'd never had a cat until we moved here, then three turned up at our first rental - we thought they were mum and sons originally - and we started feeding them, then one of the kittens had a terrible eye injury so we took him to the vet and they had to operate to remove the eye, so we had to keep him in for 10 days while the stitches healed, and that was the start of it. We still have 'mum' but both the boys just disappeared eventually, but people had already designated us as the cat people and whenever there was a stray kitten needing a home, or we came across an abandoned kitten, it came home with us. We've had lots more over the years who have been killed on the road or PTS for various reasons - I've never counted how many we've had in total. My husband found the latest ones aged about 3 weeks and I bottle fed them

Costacoffeeplease Sun 17-Jan-16 23:21:36

We have a Maine coon cross who was found sitting in the middle of the road at about 6 weeks old. He has the coat, ruff, tail of a Maine coon but isn't quite as big - he's a lovely boy - he'll be 11 this year

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Sun 17-Jan-16 23:23:11

Three brothers ... I think the cat rescue ladies see me coming and hide all the singles and twos. They are gorgeous.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 17-Jan-16 23:24:14

just one
would love more, but current moggy is very much a one-cat cat.

thecatneuterer Mon 18-Jan-16 08:40:23

AnneElliott Mon 18-Jan-16 08:49:43

We have 4. 3 girls and a boy. They are the love of my life, (after DS of course) but I find having 4 much harder than just having my original 2.

Amazing that one poster has 15!

Pipistrella Mon 18-Jan-16 09:33:30

None, I was looking at cats on the local rescue websites the other day, getting a bit desperate sad

We can't afford a cat; well we can at the moment but I am so scared about vet bills down the line as I think we'll be having a drop in income in the future, so unless there was a way to adopt a cat and not have to pay for veterinary care I would feel wrong doing it.

I'd love another cat.
Maybe I will wait till ds3 is a bit bigger as he is only 3 and would probably give it a hard time anyway.

<sob> envy I have taken to making a fuss of neighbourhood cats - there are hundreds, and most of them like to sit in our chicken run from time to time!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now