Talk

Advanced search

Found a hungry cat in my shed

(70 Posts)
Fuckitfay Thu 14-Jan-16 21:09:50

Just found a cat on an old sofa in our shed. Cat could get in and out as there's plenty of cat squeezing space under the door/ sides of shed. Cat appears v hungry and has eaten a whole sausage and a quite big bit of mackerel (no cat food at home!). It looks skinny. No collar. Shall I take it to vet to be scanned tomorrow for a chip? It see if it's still there tomorrow? I'm worried about cat for tonight, it's cold but shed is under cover and it has a cosy sofa to snuggle on? Have put a fluffy blanket on the sofa for it and thensofa is actually a sofa and a chair piled on top of each so quite a cosy den? Don't have cat litter tray etc to bring in tonight.

Seeyounearertime Thu 14-Jan-16 21:12:35

if its still there id pop it to the vets. i wouldnt worry too much about the cold. Cat fur is dense and designed to keep them warm, though a bowl of warm milk put in before you go to bed would be nice smile

personally, i'm a soft git, i'd be taking hot water bottles and cat biscuits out to it, even if i had to go buy them.

Mincepies76 Thu 14-Jan-16 21:13:56

Hi, I would take it to the vet to see if t is chipped. You could also contact local shelters to see if a cat matching it's description has been reported missing.
Bless, bet it enjoyed the sausage and fish!

Fuckitfay Thu 14-Jan-16 21:14:20

Can't pop out as 3DC in bed and DH not home til late. It's had a dinner fit for the King of Cats and has a bowl of water. I will def give it a hot water bottle and some warm milk smile

Seeyounearertime Thu 14-Jan-16 21:17:51

when my ferrets lived in a hutch in the shed i'd boil a kettle last thing before bed and pour it into a large jug and the close the doors. it wasn't enough to warm the shed up but it kept it maybe 2 or 3 degrees warmer than without the hot water.

maybe thats an idea too, but obvioulsy be careful the cat doesnt jump in it smile

Fuckitfay Thu 14-Jan-16 21:19:48

Here's the cat enjoying the mackerel smile she followed me back to the house after the first bit mewing

StayWithMe Thu 14-Jan-16 21:20:16

Although the bowl of milk is a very kind suggestion, I wouldn't because many cats are allergic to milk. I wouldn't give it anything else to eat tonight as it might be sick with too much if it's starving. If you have a bit of chicken in the house I would feed it a little of that, in the morning. The vet can scan it to see if it's chipped and many vets would be aware if one of their clients have lost a cat. You could check on gumtree or what ever your local lost pet sites are and see if you can see if someone has placed a lost cat picture there. Please let us know how you get on.

Madlizzy Thu 14-Jan-16 21:21:43

Don't give it milk! It's not good for them. It can make some cats quite poorly.

Mincepies76 Thu 14-Jan-16 21:23:01

I hope someone missing their cat is about to be reunited smile

StayWithMe Thu 14-Jan-16 21:23:16

He's gorgeous. Poor wee thing. Chances are, since he's friendly, he may be new to the area and got list, when let out. You're very kind OP.

StayWithMe Thu 14-Jan-16 21:23:36

Lost not lest.

StayWithMe Thu 14-Jan-16 21:24:25

Bugger! Lost not list! blush

Toughasoldboots Thu 14-Jan-16 21:25:22

You are lovely, I agree to feed tonight and then take to be scanned tomorrow. Kindness to animals makes me happy flowers

Seeyounearertime Thu 14-Jan-16 21:26:03

maybe don't give the cat milk then. lol.

Sparklingbrook Thu 14-Jan-16 21:26:42

envy I never find cats in my shed.

If you can take it to the vet tomorrow to be scanned you might just find a very worried owner somewhere. Sounds like it's quite friendly?

Fuckitfay Thu 14-Jan-16 21:27:18

Yes I did worry about it gorging itself on an empty tummy so wasn't going to give it anything else. I hope it feels ok now. I figured mackerel and sausage was about equal to a bowl of cat food if chopped up.
Noted about the milk. It can still have its hot water bottle. I've just been looking at local paper and googling for local lost cat sites etc but not found anything yet.
Need to find the cat carrier. Not used it myself since last DCat sadly departed this world 4 years ago, last saw it in a pile of toys full of my little ponies....
Any ideas what I can use for cat carrier to vets if I can't find carrier? It will have to get up early to go the vets on my way to work

Fuckitfay Thu 14-Jan-16 21:27:58

It was v scared initially and retreated straight to back of shed but I won it over very quickly with the mackerel and my excellent cat soothing noises!

Sparklingbrook Thu 14-Jan-16 21:28:53

Ooh you speak Feline Fuckit, that's always good. grin

SuburbanRhonda Thu 14-Jan-16 21:31:55

Do you have a sports bag you could carry it in? It will have to be zipped up, but presumably the trip to the vet won't be too long.

ApologiesToInsectLife Thu 14-Jan-16 21:35:22

Beware of using a bag even if you think it's sturdy. You'd be surprised what a panicking cat can escape out of. It could open a bag like a tin opener with its claws! Your vet might let you borrow a car carrier.

Fuckitfay Thu 14-Jan-16 21:36:26

I do grin <licks hand and nonchalantly rubs it behind ear>

Have reported exciting cat news to DH and he is grumping over the loss of a sausage. We have found a lost cat before (10 + yrs ago!) the cat stayed with us for a night and although DH grumped I caught him chatting to it. That was a sad tale, cat had moved to new owner only down the street from us and escaped out of window. He had been missing for over 6 months shock when we reported him found. Sadly he was ridden with cancer and had to be put down after that but we like to think we gave him a nice last night. Hopefully happier ending this time!!

Fuckitfay Thu 14-Jan-16 21:38:32

That's a good idea I'll pop into the vet first as its on my way to drop DD3 off and ask if I can borrow a carrier

Seeyounearertime Thu 14-Jan-16 21:40:59

Fuckitfay

sad poor puddy tat.

fingers crossed this puddy is happy and healthy etc and has eaten your OH supper and gone back to his loving and warm home. (where they will curse him for losing another collar)

elephantoverthehill Thu 14-Jan-16 21:41:08

Sparkling I kept finding a cat in my shed last winter. I know it has got a home on my street so I didn't feed it, although it looked a bit scrawny. The weird thing is my cat won't let any other cat into the back garden apart from this one. I am pleased someone mentioned the milk thing too.

Sparklingbrook Thu 14-Jan-16 21:44:56

That's my problem elephant Sparklingcat will not let any other cat into the garden apart from the male tabby over the road that has a very nice home already and just pops round to see her.

All other cats are dispatched quickly. sad

Foxes and badgers are fine, she doesn't mind them. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now